Shard Restaurant 'Car Park'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 6 May 2013 9.45pm
The new restaurant has opened at the Shard - private invitations only, for the time being.

An evening 'car park' for the punters has been created on the wide pavement in front of where the new entrance to the Shangri-La Hotel will be in St. Thomas Street. A line of plant tubs is moved into place at night to segregate the vehicles from the base of the escalators.

Now, the question is, is there planning consent in place for a car park on the pavement? Or, could it be that it's not a pavement, but a private driveway?

Either way, I recall we were all told how the Shard was going to be a car-free development, specifically built over a rail and tube station for easy access to public transport.

So why then is it full of parked cars?
Tuesday 7 May 2013 10.34am
The flower pots are there during the day not just at night. The area in front of the revolving doors entrance to the Shangri-La Hotel looks to me to be a sort of carriage way drive style affair so I am guessing it is not a wide pavement at all but part of the Shard itself, something I think the steel posts confirm too. If all my surmising is correct then I guess they can park what they like there.
Tuesday 7 May 2013 6.21pm
i cant believe a 5* hotel doesn't have some parking below ground...and there will have to be somewhere for cabs to pull in. hardly car-free and hardly surprising
Tuesday 7 May 2013 6.35pm
coming out of london bridge railway station with cases you have to cross the road with buses zooming in and out because the Taxi Rank has been moved..sorry to change the subject but i agree any new business will have to take into account of people arriving by taxi.
Tuesday 7 May 2013 7.10pm
There was a German registered car parked at the entrance tonight, and a sign that said "valet parking".

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 7 May 2013 9.06pm
Urbanite is correct in that the tubs are there during the day. I'm sure it is also the case, as he says, that the area is a vehicle drop-off zone for the future hotel.

I'd be very surprised, however, if ths area has been granted planning consent as a car park. Maybe the planning experts at Southwark Council will be able to quickly clarify.
Wednesday 8 May 2013 7.32am
I saw the Valet Parking sign yesterday too James....an import of one of the more helpful American features of city life but no doubt it will be very expensive here
Wednesday 8 May 2013 12.05pm
I'm fairly sure there never used to be a pavement running along that stretch of St Thomas Street on the now Shard side of the road, in which case the new pavement is probably on land ultimately owned by the Shard. If that's the case they can probably stick as many cars as they want on it can't they? Along with security staff telling people not to take pictures, skateboard, or get too close to the building, as happens beside the entrance adjacent to the bus stop.
Wednesday 8 May 2013 4.51pm
I assume the metal strips in the floor mark out the curtlage of the Shard and so indicate where the pavement begins. There was always a pavement on the northside when the old buidling waas there.
Monday 13 May 2013 3.58pm
From the BBC website today:

"What is unusual for a building of this size is the number of parking spaces, just 48. These spaces take up the room usually needed for eight cars.

Served by a valet, a driver parks in the space and gets out of the car, which then disappears into the ground. It is then parked by a machine into a store and can be called when needed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22469044
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: