Shard Restaurant 'Car Park'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
TAK Monday 13 May 2013 5.38pm
AndyABC wrote:
From the BBC website today:
"What is unusual for a building of this size is the number of parking spaces, just 48. These spaces take up the room usually needed for eight cars.

Served by a valet, a driver parks in the space and gets out of the car, which then disappears into the ground. It is then parked by a machine into a store and can be called when needed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22469044

I would imagine it's something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgalH5f6-v4

But still not quite sure how to get 48cars in the space of 8 - Presumably this also includes the ramps and maneuver space those 8 cars would need?
boroughpaul Monday 13 May 2013 7.25pm
love the "valet parking for dummies" tutorial courtesy of the BBC ! cantquite understand the fuss really...if i had bought a flat for 50 million quid I would expect somewhere to park the Bentley
Julia7239 Monday 13 May 2013 7.46pm
What ahout the people that live there? Where do they park?
boroughpaul Monday 13 May 2013 8.48pm
i assume if you live there you can buy a parking space...pretty standard in big developments
boroughbloke Tuesday 14 May 2013 6.43am
boroughpaul wrote:
i cant believe a 5* hotel doesn't have some parking below ground...and there will have to be somewhere for cabs to pull in. hardly car-free and hardly surprising
The Shard has 48 parking spaces and uses an automated stacking system to shelve them by into a tiny area. I'm not sure how many might be dedicated to the hotel, but my guess would be none. I suspect that the residents and a few key office tenants would be first in the queue. Last time I looked the drop-off point was clear to see outside the entrance on St Thomas Street.
Tolstoy Tuesday 14 May 2013 6.49am
You mean they don't have Oyster cards?!
Sidney Thursday 16 May 2013 6.20am
Urban hotels in very central locations usually have no parking & either offer no parking or they do a deal with a local car park.
I'd assume that the ncp on snowsfields would be the one in this instance
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions