Deli in Tower Bridge Road in the 70s/80s

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 7 May 2013 3.58pm
There used to be a Deli just down the road from us in Tower Bridge Road, somewhere around no 79? There was a young lady called Mary working there with either her uncle or Father?
Can anyone tell me what it was called please and what the man's name was? I've been wracking my brains, but can't remember!
Tuesday 7 May 2013 4.15pm
His name was Jack and his wife was called Doris, she died from moror neurone disease. He must have been 80 when he died. thats if you are referring to the old grocery shop called Youngs now called Dollar? She died before him, Mary was a young lady who worked in the shop at the weekends and holidays while she was still at school, no relation to him as I recall but they thought the world of her. I shall try and find a couple of photos of him in the shop.

Doris was beautifully turned out always immaculate they were devoted to each other. I can see her my minds eyes even now, dark hair and pearls...aah nice couple. They had no children and I am sure I saw I saw Mary working in the tescos express about ten years ago.
Tuesday 7 May 2013 4.20pm
And, they cooked all their hams, beef themselves , boned their own bacon which was superb, on the left hand side of the shop was mostly ham and cheese and meat, the right hand was other grocery goods.
Tuesday 7 May 2013 5.24pm
Thanks Jan you're a star! It was indeed Young's I was referring to.
I used to go in there each morning to buy ham for my rolls, I used to buy my rolls from the bakers which was called ??? (my memory is soooo poor!)

Tuesday 7 May 2013 5.59pm
Before Gregs there was a bakers on the corner where lloyds bank used to be..I think it was called Bloomfields/broomfield? or perhaps it was Edwards the baker which re-opened and sold 'posh' smoked salmon and cracked pepper rolls! I think it was where the general hardware store is now?

When Jack sliced the ham it was always resting on an old fashioned ceramic ham stand, I think he sold the cheaper formed variety but the people in the know always asked for 'proper' ham.

Because he boned his own bacon you could always buy a couple of pounds of bacon bones, cook them remove the meat and make a egg and bacon posh words like quiche! and then make a smashing pea soup.

those were the days....and even now I still try to make my own soup!
Tuesday 7 May 2013 10.00pm
Well done again Jan, it was Edwards I was thinking of (the first time around!) Broomfields was indeed on the corner and then I think it moved to where Greggs is now, but I'm not 100% sure of that.
Thanks again,

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: