Restaurant Story Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 11 May 2013 9.43am
Has anyone been yet? We are going tonight to celebrate and treat ourselves for a combination of wedding anniversary and new jobs,

If you pop in on foot there seems to be some cancelled availability. Staff were very nice. Excited to see what it is like.
Saturday 11 May 2013 9.53am
It always seems packed when I walk past. Try and get a window seat!
Saturday 11 May 2013 10.03am
According to Tracey Macleod in the Indy, it's in "here-be-dragons territory at the scruffier end of Tower Bridge".

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 11 May 2013 12.30pm
Bloody cheek! Havent these oxbridge d;ck journalists realised yet that 99.9% of london isnt in islington? I wish they would stay there. How disorientated can you be to where you are between the SHARD and Foot of TOWER BRIDGE. DUH. Also this whole thing about "foodies" is rubbish. Who doest like food? Its like saying i dont like oxygen or water. No nice food for me. I am not a foodie.
Saturday 11 May 2013 12.56pm
reviewed (high praise) in last saturday's grauniad weekend magazine ...
Saturday 11 May 2013 4.06pm
Julia7239 wrote:
Bloody cheek! Havent these oxbridge d;ck journalists realised yet that 99.9% of london isnt in islington? I wish they would stay there. How disorientated can you be to where you are between the SHARD and Foot of TOWER BRIDGE. DUH. Also this whole thing about "foodies" is rubbish. Who doest like food? Its like saying i dont like oxygen or water. No nice food for me. I am not a foodie.

I agree with you, Julia7239, their 'worry' about not being able to find the place, is really annoying.
Saturday 11 May 2013 6.00pm
Tbh I've always liked the fact that lots of people couldn't find SE1, and regret to some extent the fact that it's changed over the years and nowadays people know where Borough is.

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 11 May 2013 8.50pm
We just got home. IT IS THE BEST MEAL I HAVE EVER EVER had. Maybe i dont get out much or maybe i no longer eat anywhere but TBR, but i like to think i have eaten some nice meals and that one was a wonderful delight. We wore our jeans and thought we may have been too scruffy but i think we might have been the smartest in the restaurant; its very casual. Was 140 for 2 with wine and coffees, inc tip. So not an everday meal out, but highly highly recommended for an interesting and celebratory meal. We had an early sitting and the restaurant didnt have more than 2/3 tables full until gone 8 pm which was a surprise....
Saturday 11 May 2013 8.58pm
Please tell us some more about the food, if you have time and inclination.

It's one of those menus that's so understated that it sounds like nothing special at all, but your reaction must mean that it's pretty blooming good.

Thanks

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 11 May 2013 9.18pm
Yes, after i booked and i saw burnt onion, apple, gin and thyme, i was a bit disappointed. So in regards to that dish - bear with as not being a food critic - they had four different types of carmelised onions on a bed of some loveliness; i dont know what it was but was sweet, then had little leaves and flowers on top: not idea what they were but then this amazing sauce was poured on top that didnt taste of gin, but had apple and some oil thing in it and it was alcoholic and was incredible. I cracked out the sppon and just poured it in my mouth. Another dish; Then they had made a horseradish ice, that they sprinkled onto beetroot and raspberrys, on a beetroor juice that was really interesting and pretty savoury. Lamb with a goats cheese sauce. It is really difficult to explain just how different it was. Or convey the combination of flavours from things that when i looked at the menu sounded quite ordinary. He did a clever chocolate candy sugar strip - like a long ribbon on top of two biscuit based choc covered marshmallows with raspberry sauce. Like tunnocks but melted when you bite into them. It was like being in a grown up willy wonka restaurant. I went to fat duck years ago and this was 10 times better as the menu was really balanced and refreshing altogether, where as i felt ill and ripped off, style over substance at the fat duck ( though some dished were very very good there). Go! They have cancellations slots and as locals its worth popping in and asking
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: