London Bridge Station - Bermondsey Street Park becomes Car Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 11 May 2013 10.17am
Looking at the latest construction newsletter for London Bridge Station it seems that the area at the north end of Bermondsey Street near Tooley Street that is designated an area of tranquility on the approved plans for the new London Bridge Station i.e. a small park or tree lined square, is actually going to become a car park.

This car park seems to include the arches previously used for the Arch Climbing Wall and Southwark Playhouse.

Are they allowed to do this?
Saturday 11 May 2013 10.27am
Presumably the car park is just during the demolition/construction phase.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 11 May 2013 10.44am
Well I hope it's only temporary but nothing on the newsletter seems to indicate this. And the previous use of the land was as a car park. The expanded size of the car park might also cause further congestion in the poor old Bermondsey Street tunnel (cough, cough).

I would have thought that it would be a better use of this land to use this area as the location of the site offices (including the arches) which would then free up St Thomas Street for parking... Rather than a car park at a location which causes further build up of vehicle fumes.

But then Network Rail seem intent on trashing the tunnel for us all...
Saturday 11 May 2013 12.15pm
11/AP/1987 planning permission was for public realm.
some current/subsequent applications refer to this area as an 'operational car park'.
i can't see that any permanent permission to vary from the original final senario has been granted, but this sort of slight-of-hand is not unknown in southwark ...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: