Surrey Docks Farm

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 12 May 2013 11.11am
What a gem we have in our midst in this lovely 2 acre farm. Yesterday it was their Spring Fair and what a treat..My daughter and grand-daughter and of course me, had an absolutely fantastic few hours.

I bought 6 new laid eggs for 2.40, would have bought more but the way my little Ruby was going through the packets of animal feed...

She loved every single living thing there and much to my amazement for a toddler was entranced by the handsome young man demonstrating the shearing of a massive North Down sheep, due to the sheep not being very co-operative it took a lot longer than expected.

The ducks, the geese,the little piglets all had their fair share of seed scattered all over their heads and if any seed went on the path she insisted on picking up every grain and popping it back in! I will go again and get some of the lovely herbs they had for sale and their home made chutney.

The icing on the cake for Ruby was the clown band, she followed them around and refused to come out the farm when they were near the entrance, she sang, she danced,jumped and twisted her little arms back and forth. everytime we went to go she said'one more' and made several on lookers smile, she would stop if any one came over to dance with her and start again if they moved!

What a lovely, lovely time we had, priceless..we should support it while we still have it.

Last year it cost almost 20.00 to take her to a hardys farm near skegness...she had it! Surrey Docks farm was a donations only and the sale of goods went directly to the farm..the cheese whirls were lovely incidentally! lol
Sunday 12 May 2013 11.35am
My wife said there were a load of "big rosey cheeked men" at Surrey Quays shopping centre morris dancing and that they were off to the farm,she said she was entranced herself,pass the rouge.
Sunday 12 May 2013 12.06pm
I love the place, too. I've bought goats meat, duck eggs and sausages there, all really wonderful and the children always have a fabulous time. Ours were really transfixed one time by a goat who had just had a kid and was eating the placenta when we visited.

I really like there herb garden at the back, you can see lots of plants very few people have in their garden, for instance plants that make all sorts of dyes.
Sunday 12 May 2013 2.46pm
I may phone them up Katia, never knew they sold goat meat, will buy some in a few weeks and try to get a lady I know to make me curry goat! I never actually made it into the herb garden due our miniature dr.doolittle wandering all over, but I did see some herbs, I noted they had garlic Mustard growing wild, and also lemon balm ( never plant it in your garden by the way!) you'll be trying to get rid of it for years..
Sunday 12 May 2013 7.07pm
Jan, check the little chest freezer next to their office. Sometimes it is empty, sometimes pork only, sometimes goat. I find it entirely unpredictable, but always really good.

The pigs are being fed daily at 4pm, you should go then, they make an impressive noise when they are waiting!
Sunday 12 May 2013 11.19pm
I love Surrey Docks Farm, but shamefully haven't been since Barry Mason died. (he did such a lot for making the farm what it is today, and used to go to Tesco once a week with a donkey and trap!)

I did a beekeeping course there a couple of years ago and it was great, would definitely recommend people give it a go!
Monday 13 May 2013 9.16am
Just read my first post and what I meant to say was that the farm near skegness, my grand-daughter Hated it...not had it! lol

A beekeeping course sounds fascinating, there is a guy in Tooley street I think that collects the honey from the hives he has on top of the building..Devon Mansions?

Will definitely be at Surrey docks farm again in the very near future.
Friday 17 May 2013 12.11pm
This lovely farm which relies so much on volunteers are looking for someone to drive a 7.1/2 ton truck?

And if any one can afford 2.50 a month or 30. annually it would help to maintain the wonderful work they do for youngsters and people with difficulties.

The variety of plants they supply is incredible and if any one wants fresh meat this would be lovely to visit!
apologies to any vegetarians out there..:-)
Sunday 19 May 2013 10.39am
One more bit, the farm are always grateful for any spare seeds, veg. or flowers..shredded wheat are giving away free seeds in their boxes..if you eat shredded wheat and don t need the seeds..you could always send them to the farm..
Wednesday 29 May 2013 2.22pm
If any one has fans of Blue Peter in their midst, the Blue Peter Team are visiting the farm on the 20th June, and for any aspiring blacksmiths they hold classes Saturdays 12-2pm..then of course you can indulge in a spot of Yoga, be healthy...then go to the Cafe and have a bit to eat!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: