Passport Checking - Baby Passport Pic requirements

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 17 May 2013 8.34pm
Hey all,

Saw a post about passport checking and have my own issue that I thought I would run by here...

I had some baby passport pics done at Snappy Snaps but at the Post Office today I was told that they were not acceptable because the background is white rather than the required off-white or grey.

When I phone Snappy Snaps, I was told that the Passport Office isn't that strict about baby photos and in their experience of doing baby photos, I wouldn't have any problem with the passport.

I was then told that the Post Office Checking Service was a different and additional service which is more strict. And since it's a different service, they wouldn't redo the photos for me!

Anyone had any experience with the passport checking service and/or passport photos for a baby? Advice? I'm thinking I should get the photos done again...

thanks!
Friday 17 May 2013 9.59pm
Hi jackie,

I personally would send it. My baby's head only came up halfway on the photo and the check and send at the Westminster Bridge Road PO told me it would not be accepted. I sent it anyway 'at my own risk'' and received the passport only a few days later (albeit with a terrible photo).

In any case, unless you are in a rush, if the application isn't accepted in the first instance the passport office will ask for additional photos.

V
Zoe
Saturday 18 May 2013 6.39am
I just did mine and the two photos are so different I wondered if I should get it counter signed, but it came back no bother. I suspect the staff at the post office are ultra cautious as you are paying them to check everything is exactly right (as they should be of course) but the staff at the passport office possibly aren't as careful. As long as they don't send the whole application back, when it would be another two pounds for another registered letter, you can't actually lose out as you won't need to send the photos by registered post.

My passport came back by bike courier, which I thought was quite cool and I actually look better on the passport than on the set of photos, where I look like a war criminal. The new passport design is all shiny and nice, with a lovely picture of some houses on the inside cover. I don't know what it means, but I'm all biometric now.
Saturday 18 May 2013 4.11pm
Thanks guys. I think I will give it a try with the photos that I have!

So did either of you submit the application via the checking service in the end, or did you just do it on your own?

Zoe, even my baby looks like a war criminal in his photo! How did you manage that? :)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: