Why don't smokers consider their paraphernalia to be litter?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 18 May 2013 3.05pm
theirI was walking through Guys with my son this morning and the amount of cigarette butts and boxes was outrageous, and we cant see the bits of plastic and foil that get thrown away also, smokers blatantly throw their butts away in full view of the public, some even do acrobatic little flicks to get some height and distance. Its so wrong. The floor was literally littered with them, hundreds of them outside a hospital. Not Nice
Sunday 19 May 2013 10.46am
My neighbour throws them out the window, I have burn marks on my cills now. Don't know what they would do if they burnt someone's head?
Sunday 19 May 2013 12.09pm
Ahh but what if it's Humphry Bogart and and Bette Davis having a quickie outside Le Pont?
Sunday 19 May 2013 12.23pm
I am a smoker, but I don't do this.

I did actually near get hit on the head by a flying (lit) dog end as I was walking round in Shad Thames the other day, coming from a great height!

Whether thrown from above or just dropped when finished, I thought there was a 50 fine if caught?
Sunday 19 May 2013 12.59pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I am a smoker, but I don't do this.
I did actually near get hit on the head by a flying (lit) dog end as I was walking round in Shad Thames the other day, coming from a great height!

Whether thrown from above or just dropped when finished, I thought there was a 50 fine if caught?

Yes, Santa Claus writes you up, and the Easter Bunny comes to collect it.
Tuesday 21 May 2013 9.46am
These guys and the gum discarders need to be banged up.
Jac
Tuesday 21 May 2013 10.49am
Blimey Jackie that's a bit harsh could be a big chunk of the population. Maybe better educated in this respect would be a better idea and a few fines would help. But as a non smoker it never fails to amaze me how some people who would never think of discarding other litter and yet will flick a fag end on to the ground without a thought. I walk past several flats on a regular basis that have loads of cigarette ends littered out side various windows, talk about messing on your own door step.
Wednesday 22 May 2013 12.37pm
Right then every bit of litter and fag butt is an uncollected fine
I tried to have this out with the local authority and BTP (as its up to them to prosecute around the Station )
Take a look at Tokyo they have designated smoking areas in the street at least they then would be stationary and close to a bin (put one in every smoking area)
They inflict their habit and leave their filth , this is a dirty city Bangkok is cleaner
could go on but with no help from anyone its hard to know what to do
ZERO TOLERANCE WOULD SHAKE THEM UP !
Wednesday 22 May 2013 1.03pm
Blimey eightoone, calm down you'll have a coronary. I am no fan of smoking or crap left on the streets but I'd rather tolerate a bit of that than parades of officious individuals policing my every move. Okay, let's have a bit of enforcement and some common-sense but I'm tired enough of the expanding use of law for every vaguely anti-social aspect of life. And just for the record, the suggestion that Bangkok is cleaner than London is just plain ludicrous. Zero tolerance was the fashion of the day amongst a certain number a couple of years back but is seriously overrated as a way of bringing harmony to our streets IMHO.
Wednesday 22 May 2013 1.13pm
eightoone wrote:
Take a look at Tokyo they have designated smoking areas in the street at least they then would be stationary and close to a bin (put one in every smoking area)
I think that this would cut down the littering a great deal. I doubt that people would generally want to litter, if there was a bin nearby.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: