Breakfast on a Sunday Morning

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 31 May 2013 12.04pm
Hi all,

My parents are staying in SE1 for the weekend in June and I'm debating not booking them a room which serves breakfast, owing to the fact that on the Saturday I may take them to Maltby Street market or another local cafe. But does anyone know of any nice quality (not greasy spoon) cafe's or breakfast places that would be open on a Sunday morning? Was thinking The Garrison, but other suggestions welcome.
They'll be staying at The Hilton Docklands, so anywhere SE1/SE16 and close to the river.
Friday 31 May 2013 12.59pm
Simplicity is a very nice, efficiently run, clean restaurant in Tunnel Road SE16, close to The Mayflower pub, they open at 10.00 a.m. on Sundays.
I've often dined there in the evening, and Lawrence the owner, is an extremely nice guy and excellent chef, their weekend brunch menu is attached.
It is a pleasant walk from The Hilton to there, along Rotherhithe Street, or the C10 bus would drop you within a five minute walk of the door, opposite St. Mary's church.

http://www.simplicityrestaurants.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/simplicity-se16-brunch-menu_docx.pdf
Friday 31 May 2013 1.23pm
Village East is good.
Friday 31 May 2013 1.30pm
another vote for Village East, you need to book though (usually).

In my experience the service at Joe's Kitchen can be very poor.
Friday 31 May 2013 2.01pm
Antico is OK too especially if you book through Toptable when they have a 50% off deal
Friday 31 May 2013 2.25pm
Elliot's Cafe on Borough Market have the best breakfast and very good coffee. It is the opposite of a greasy spoon with delicious open sandwiches. Highly recommended.
Friday 31 May 2013 2.33pm
We had a nice breakfast on Bank Holiday Monday at Le Pain Quotidien on Winchester Walk. Also - you already mentioned Maltby Street - Comptoir Gourmand on Rope Walk has recently started opening on Sundays too - you could check if you're there anyway on the Saturday. Last but certainly not least I think the Little Bread Pedlar cafe on Abbey Street also opens Sunday mornings - again, you could check if you're in the vicinity on Saturday. Quirky homely little place, superb baked goods, Monmouth filter coffee and two beautiful young cats if you're lucky.
Friday 31 May 2013 2.59pm
This is brilliant, thanks!

Like the idea of Simplicity as its a short walk away and I didnt even know the Little Bread Pedlar existed but its the kind of quirky place they'd like. Especially my mum as she's a cat fan!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Better than a hotel breakfast all day long!
Friday 31 May 2013 6.07pm
surprisingly, on balance, the choice is not as good as you would think in SE1. The Table gets very busy and you cant book. Across the road is the Refinery, not bad but on a recent visit served up cold eggs (poached) and u-toasted toast.Del Aziz is awful. Service at Joes Kitchen is hopeless. The Garrison is nice though as is Brindisa. Haven't tried Elliot's yet but i hear it is good.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: