Trav-O-lator

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
WIZ
Sunday 2 June 2013 2.43pm
Hi
Traveling on Tescos moving walkway the other day got me thinking about the first time i ever traveled on one of these,it was with my dad, when i was a kid he took me over to the Cut on the Waterloo and City line, this was 1960, it was great fun running down the travelator it seemed very futuristic at the time, i believe it was the first of it,s kind on the underground and in Europe.
Wiz
LK
Monday 3 June 2013 12.02pm
Which Tesco?

There used to be one in Croydon in the 80s which was very lumpy and bumpy and frequently broken.
WIZ
Monday 3 June 2013 8.13pm
Hi
Tesco Extra-Romford (Roneo Corner).

when you push the trolly on the escalator the wheels lock
and release when you get to the top, very ingenious not sure how it works though?
P.S was there something in the news about a Westfield style shopping centre planned for croydon?
Although i am from East London i have had quite a lot of connection to the waterloo area my dad also worked in Waterloo, i used to go to the pie and mash shop down the cut i don't think it is there anymore can anyone remember the name of the pie shop please.
Wiz
Monday 3 June 2013 9.28pm
R Cooke was the pie and mash shop on The Cut. Now the Culture Grub Chinese restaurant.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 4 June 2013 8.10am
WIZ wrote:
Hi
Traveling on Tescos moving walkway the other day got me thinking about the first time i ever traveled on one of these,it was with my dad, when i was a kid he took me over to the Cut on the Waterloo and City line, this was 1960, it was great fun running down the travelator it seemed very futuristic at the time, i believe it was the first of it,s kind on the underground and in Europe.
Wiz

The Waterloo and City's Trav-O-Lator (but see below about the name) celebrated its 50th anniversary in September 2010 - see http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2010/09/27/50th-anniversary-of-bank-stations-travolator/

Apparently we aren't allowed to call it a 'Trav-O-Lator' any more - that's a trademark name belonging to Otis, who installed the original version in 1960. The ones there now are replacements manufactured by a French company in 2000-2002, so perhaps it's now a 'promenadeur'.
WIZ
Tuesday 4 June 2013 10.08am
Hi,James
Thanks,so it was R Cooke pie and mash shop down the cut ,we used have a cooke's at Stratford years ago,but to put the one i used to go in on the map was Lediards, West Ham Lane E15.

Hi John thanks for the link, very interesting love the Pathe News clip i cant believe how old fashioned it all looks now, did you spot the bloke having a Harry Rag of course these were the days before the smoking ban.
Wiz
P S found this quite interesting
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2011/10/03/100th-anniversary-of-the-escalator-on-london-underground/

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: