South London Press

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
WIZ
Thursday 6 June 2013 9.14pm
Hi
Can anyone tell me what happened to the the Big Letters
(South London Press) that were above the Elephant and castle underground station? also is the london school of printing still there , i went there in 1967.
Wiz
Thursday 6 June 2013 9.25pm
Don't know what happened to the SLP letters, but the London School of Printing is now the London College of Communications, in the same buildings and has annexes to accomodate its expansion. It's now part of the University of the Arts, London.
Thursday 6 June 2013 10.06pm
South London Press moved out of its offices at the Bakerloo Line Station many years ago. The only online reference I could find spoke of this being "decades" since. The lettering you mention may have stayed on the facade thereafter as an advert for the paper; you could always ask SLP.

Local historian Stephen Humphrey recently completed an illustrated book on The Elephant & Castle, which I understand will appear this summer. Perhaps that will answer your question.
Thursday 6 June 2013 10.20pm
P.S. The lettering was still in place in 1981, when this photo was taken:

http://www.geolocation.ws/search/en?s=South+London+Press
WIZ
Friday 7 June 2013 12.47am
Thanks, Auntie Pat. Lionel. for your replies
I remember that i had to go to the London college of printing on day release as part of the process of getting into the print union, my union office Natsopa was in Caxton house Blackfriars Rd that has also gone now,the area seems to have had quite a connection to the printing trade, the Evening News used to be printed in Waterloo.
I will have to tell my mate about the book on the Elephant and castle i think he will be interested because he is from south London,i think i will ask SLP about the Letters i will post it on here if i find out anything.
Wiz

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: