Proposed development of SSAFA 19 Queen Elizabeth Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 9 June 2013 11.52pm
This is a message for residents living on or near Queen Elizabeth Street. Or in fact anyone who has a healthy interest in ensuring property developers listen to and positively respond to the opinions expressed by the local community.

Londonewcastle are looking to develop the SSAFA building, on the corner of QES & Lafone Street, for mixed residential and office use. Of primary concern is the proposed development of the adjacent car park into a substantial and over-bearing 3.5 storey building with communal roof terracing. Their consultants website misleadingly refers to a 2 storey extension onto the existing car park QES Consultation.

I strongly believe the proposal is unacceptable as it does not take into account the scale of existing buildings on QES, Lafone St and Tower Bridge Square both compromising residents right to light and architecturally not in keeping with the adjacent conservation area.

Please take time to check nineteen-queen-elizabeth-st-for-residents-who-object setup by and for local residents who wish to stay informed of latest news and push back on this insensitive proposal.

Related news & features

Wednesday 12 June 2013 6.16pm
Londonewcastle have arranged at short notice a drop-in to be held on Thursday 13th June (tomorrow) at SSAFA 19 Queen Elizabeth Street 5pm-8pm.

A chance to speak to the developer and express your considered opinion.
Thursday 25 July 2013 7.33am
A planning application has now been submitted:
http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9550665

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 4 August 2013 12.26pm
Thanks James - I somehow missed this.

The developers and Southwark council have 'forgotten' to inform the residents!! We got an email late on 1st August - see below.

There are no letters or signs from the council.

We are away on holiday and so are a lot of my neighbours with children. I don't believe this is a coincidence!!

Sent: 01 August 2013 17:40
To: Naushabah Khan
Subject: No 19 Queen Elizabeth Street

Dear All

Please see details below for the planning application for No 19 Queen Elizabeth Street. This has now been validated and can be accessed at
http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9550665

The application has been validated under the ref. 13/AP/2405 . Southwark’s consultation period ends on the 14th August and the Case Officer is Terence McLellan.

I hope this information is useful, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm regards

Naushabah

Naushabah Khan, Account Executive
Curtin&Co, 299 Oxford Street, London, W1C 2DZ | T : +44 (0)207 399 2299 | M : +44 (0)7885 970 973
E : naushabahk@curtinandco.com | W : www.curtinandco.com Follow Curtin&Co on Twitter
Sunday 18 August 2013 5.28pm
Worth pointing out that the deadline for comments on this application is now August 31, if you want to object. As I have just done.
Thursday 29 August 2013 9.48pm
Hello, a gentle reminder that the deadline for responses, Saturday 31st August, is fast approaching.

As a matter of interest, a previous application in 2008 to over-develop this site within the heart of Shad Thames was made and duly rejected by Southwark Council Planning Committee (LBS Number 07-AP-2936).

Of which the salient Reasons for Refusal included:
1. The proposal due to the increase in height and bulk of the existing building will create an overbearing structure creating a loss of outlook and an undue sense of enclosure upon the neighbouring residential properties, detrimental to their amenities, and thereby contrary to Policy 3.2 'Protection to Amenity' in the Southwark Plan July 2007.

2. The proposed extension by reason of its scale and detailed design would be harmful to the appearance and character of the existing building, the streetscape in general and to the setting of the nearby Tower Bridge Conservation Area. The proposal is therefore contrary to policies 3.12 Quality in Design; 3.13 Urban Design; and 3.18 Setting of Listed Buildings, Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites of The Southwark Plan (July 2007).

3. The proposal will result in the loss of off-street parking within an area with low Ptal rating and therefore is considered to have significant neagative impacts on the transport network, and there has been no information submitted by way of a Transport Assessment or a travel plan being submitted which might otherwise mitigate these harmful impacts. The proposal is therefore contrary to policy 5.2 'Transport impacts' of the Southwark Plan (July 2007).

All valid reasons to push back on this latest application 13/AP/2405 (19 Queen Elizabeth Street SE1).

Please email the planning officer Wing Lau at planning.consultation@southwark.gov.uk <mailto:planning.consultation@southwark.gov.uk>
Tuesday 17 December 2013 8.35pm
Application has been amended, although the finish appears to be the same. Suspect this will be a way for the developers to show that far fewer people object to this scheme.

Revised application on Southwark planning site
Thursday 19 December 2013 4.36pm
Just got the letter today. The consultation period starts 20th December and ends 2nd January 2014!! Its a joke that its over the Xmas period when most people and are away or too busy.

Southwark Council and the developers are having a laugh! No consideration for the residents whatsoever.
Thursday 19 December 2013 6.59pm
The 102 flats in Boss House got ours today.

I have to say I think 2 weeks consultation is very reasonable.

And if folks are passionate about complaining, why do you think they won't find 10 minutes in 2 weeks because they "are away or too busy"?

The letter also sates that comments made after the deadline, but before the decision, may still be taken into account.

I won't be complaining.
Tuesday 14 January 2014 8.29pm
A presentation / discussion on the revised plans was held last Thursday.  Some 30+ residents attended.   The revised plans are available on the Southwark Planning site via this link for those that didn’t attend.

Next Steps: Objection letters should be submitted to Southwark (planning.applications@southwark.gov.uk FAO Wing Lau  Ref: 13/AP/2405) by end of day this Friday.   The planning decision will likely be made at a sub-planning committee meeting in early February.   

The date will be circulated once known. 
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: