Tooley Street Tesco charity

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 11 June 2013 12.52pm
long time reader first time poster

as lovely and nice as the till staff are at tooley st tescos i find it very uncomfortable being asked for a pound for charity by the staff.
shaking a bucket is one thing but being put on the spot at the till is very awkward for me, especially as i had to make several trips.

is this tesco chugging norma?? ive never encountered this in any other supermarkets.
Tuesday 11 June 2013 1.31pm
franklyse1 wrote:
is this tesco chugging norma?? ive never encountered this in any other supermarkets.

Don't know about 'norma', but occasionally there have been charity bucket rattlers (not staff) in the doorway of the Sainsburys on BHS, though I haven't yet encountered them in my nearest Tescos. Sainsburys have also previously involved staff to try to collect money and sell goodies on Red Nose Day.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 10.50am
agree frank, humiliating for those that cant afford the pound to be put on the spot whilst standing within 12 inches either side of another customer at another till. shake the bucket but stop this practice.
Saturday 15 June 2013 8.34pm
There are invariably charity collectors outside Tesco on Tooley Street or just inside it EVERY TIME I go there.

I am probably getting miserable in my old age, but it seems excessive.
Thursday 20 June 2013 7.42pm
Hi,

Just to let you know, following customer feedback we have stopped asking to donate 1 at the till now. It was a company initiative to try and raise money for our charity of the year, Diabetes UK, but it's been recognised its not popular and has been stopped.

As a store we are trying to limit 'bucket shaking' and thinking up more imaginative and fun ways to raise money for charity - all ideas welcome!

Kind Regards,
Mark
Store Manager - Tesco Tooley Street
Thursday 20 June 2013 8.08pm
I actually don't mind the odd "bucket shaker" at the bottom of the escalator.

I reckon anyone willing to stand there for hours deserves some change.
Thursday 20 June 2013 8.56pm
davedave wrote:
agree frank, humiliating for those that cant afford the pound [...]

Humiliating? Seriously?

---

Mark, FWIW, well done on the improvements to the store since it first opened. The product range is now much better, as are the tills.
Saturday 22 June 2013 9.20pm
Agreed, the improvements to the store are great.

What happened to the olive bar, I loved it!
Sunday 23 June 2013 10.21am
they didnt have large carrier bags the other day i went in... all shopping had to go in about 15 small bags
Sunday 23 June 2013 12.18pm
@nickthegreek - we had to make the salad bar the same offer in both sides due to the queues! We've kept some of the olive lines, let me know if there was anything specific you miss!

@davedave - apologies for that! We had a small gap between running out as our expected delivery, I've made sure it won't happen again - apologies once again!

Mark
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: