No More Grey - Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 11.14am
Really liked the poster that's gone up on Bermondsey Street calling for an end to buildings being painted grey on the street..

Couldn't agree more. Moved here about 11 years ago and the street was awash with colour - now it's getting blander and blander by the day, especially with the disaster that is the new AL'S CAFE signage.

Maybe those TeamLondonBridge folks should go around and pay for shops to get their frontages repainted.. Not suggesting Bermondsey Street is a shanty town obviously but i'd rather it had this vibe (which it used to have):

Anyway I hope some enterprising shopkeeper soon realises that they'll be far more noticeable and welcoming with a bit of colour rather than the corporate blandness that is taking over..
Wednesday 12 June 2013 11.21am
Too much colour can also cause problems though - remember this:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 2.03pm
Ah James - quite like the pink! Maybe London Bridge shops should take a leaf out of SE16. A lot of the shops near Bermondsey station have been repainted in one of about 5 different colours and it has transformed the look of a previously shabby area. The worst colours in SE1 in my opinion are the ones used for the ugly new towers near Tate Modern ie Mustard and maroon - yuk.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 2.43pm
Thanks to who ever put up the posters, I agree with you (I live on B Street). Hope some of the shops see this and give a rethink. I should add that dull excrement brown is not a colourful substitute.

Also, for the record, I liked Sarah Pearson's pink colour scheme before she was forced by the council to change it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: