Armed Forces Day in Southwark - Sunday 30 June 2013

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 24 June 2013 10.18am
Hello all,

You may have seen or heard mention of this elsewhere but I wanted to post it here too by way of encouraging you to spread the word and join us on the day. I can also try to answer any questions you may have about it, as I'm the lead organiser for the council:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/events/event/2489/

It's going to be the biggest event to mark Armed Forces Day 2013 anywhere in London, and one of the largest in the UK.

We're now expecting close to 1,000 service personnel, veterans, and other uniforms to take part in the parade.

And of course it's all happening in SE1.

Michael
Monday 24 June 2013 8.58pm
My eldest grandson Lars, born and raised in Germany, is over here until June 30.
He is undergoing training in the Luftwaffe to be a helicopter pilot.
I would love to have had both him and my old Dad, a D-Day veteran, standing together to watch this parade, but Dad is no longer with us, and Lars has a late afternoon flight that day back to Dortmund.
Lars is proud to be German, but he keeps his paternal Grandpa's medals in a glass case, along with his maternal Grandpa's Iron Cross.
He says that the best part of his service in the Wehrmacht has been joint manoeuvres
with the British service guys, they love the fact that he speaks fluent English and is always ready to get the beers in.
Monday 24 June 2013 9.52pm
I have a real problem with this. I think the WW2 veterans are brilliant, and I want to support the guys today. But how do I do that without giving the idiots in Govt the excuse to send more sacrificial lambs to the front?

Iraq and Afghanistan were pointless uses of the military and many have died.

So I won't be there

I hope you understand my reasons.
Tuesday 25 June 2013 8.36am
Theedy,
Our forces have been fighting in Afghanistan for longer than our troops fought in the Great War and WW2 put together and all for nothing. Iraq was feeble politicians trying to show they had machismo rather than brains and diplomacy, another disaster.And both wars have greed for oil at their base.
I share your despair over our present government's attitude to unnecessary war-beware Syria- but I shall attend the parade because I choose to honour those men who have given their lives and those prepared do so.
Perhaps the next time they are called upon it will be out of necessity and not vanity of politicians.
Do attend if you , in your heart of hearts, really want to because you know that you are not excusing the actions of the last two governments.
Tuesday 25 June 2013 9.56am
I don't think this is a political event. It is about supporting the troops not the current or for that matter any government
Tuesday 25 June 2013 10.08pm
Bunhouse thank you for your considered and gracious reply. I have just come back from being traumatised, beautifully and almost unbearably by the War Requiem at St Pauls ( what a misnomer, it is the anti War requiem)it does not move me to join you, but as they march past, give them a wave from me, and offer a prayer for those still there, and those who will not return.
Thursday 27 June 2013 6.03am
Tom Pepper wrote:
My eldest grandson Lars, born and raised in Germany, is over here until June 30.
He is undergoing training in the Luftwaffe to be a helicopter pilot.
I would love to have had both him and my old Dad, a D-Day veteran, standing together to watch this parade, but Dad is no longer with us, and Lars has a late afternoon flight that day back to Dortmund.
Lars is proud to be German, but he keeps his paternal Grandpa's medals in a glass case, along with his maternal Grandpa's Iron Cross.
He says that the best part of his service in the Wehrmacht has been joint manoeuvres
with the British service guys, they love the fact that he speaks fluent English and is always ready to get the beers in.

Just noticed a slight error in my earlier post, it is Lars' paternal GREAT Grandpa's medals that he keeps in a glass case, my Dad's, I wasn't even old enough to do National Service let alone go to Normandy!
His maternal Grandpa however, served on the Russian front until wounded and evacuated to the Fatherland, upon recovery he was sent to France where he was captured by the Americans.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: