Tower Bridge openings - reform needed?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 24 June 2013 12.28pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6918

Tower Bridge is one of the major transport connections in central London. It is part of the inner ring road.

How much time is wasted by pedestrians, cyclists, bus and taxi passengers, and ...yes...drivers while they wait for the bride to open for various pleasure craft. At the risk of being a spoil sport, is it not time to limit the opening of Tower Bridge?
Monday 24 June 2013 12.44pm
No.

It's long overdue that we should make another crossing and ease the traffic from TB.

TB is a London landmark, and the sight of it raising and lowering is one tiny bit of free-for-all cheerfulness on that stretch of the river.

Of course, I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 24 June 2013 12.48pm
I completely agree Ivanhoe....its one part of London's charm. A new bridge is defintiely needed and there was a plan which was cancelled a couple of years back as Boris sought to save money from the GLA's budget. Maybe talk of new infrastructure projects to get the economy moving again might include this....hopefully.
Monday 24 June 2013 1.10pm
TB opening and closing is one of the iconic sights of London - having it open and close less often would be a great shame.

What's needed is another crossing to take some of the pressure off TB and TBR.
Monday 24 June 2013 1.10pm
Us kids used to love standing on the crack when a lorry went over! Tower Bridge not going up would disappoint so many people, after all us Londoners have to put up with a variety of traffic stopping events already, why stop something I and thousands of other really enjoy?

One of my daughters missing london so much when she moved almost 13 years ago stuck pictures of the bridge going up on her mirrors...still there !
Monday 24 June 2013 1.26pm
"No.

It's long overdue that we should make another crossing and ease the traffic from TB.

TB is a London landmark, and the sight of it raising and lowering is one tiny bit of free-for-all cheerfulness on that stretch of the river.

Of course, I don't expect anyone to agree with me."

I definitely do. Maybe if we thought about organising the city for other things than the convenience of traffic, the whole city would be a much better place to live.
Monday 24 June 2013 1.40pm
As a Londoner I adore the thing,everything about it,the view from london bridge when it's opening is stunning at times,and as said it's as iconic a London landmark as your going to get,but opening during rush hours? really?
Monday 24 June 2013 9.33pm
Agree with Ivanhoe - the bridge is iconic and the best thing in my area. Make some other place for the rush and tear and leave the bridge alone.
And I believe that river takes precedence over road...so ask the Bridgemaster!
Zoe
Monday 24 June 2013 10.25pm
I recall going to a demonstration a few years ago outside city hall when the bridge was suddenly raised. As one, we all stopped chanting to turn and watch with quite a few accompanying ooos and aaaas, then hundreds of demonstrators waved to the boat going through. It was lovely and gave a sense of how much we all like Tower Bridge.

I have had to wait to cross quite a few times, including in the rain on my bike which is never fun and I still don't mind. A new bridge would be nice though, possibly more pedestrian and cycling bridges, which are probably easier to do. I would like one to get across from Rotherhithe, I have always felt put out we can drive through the tunnel but have no equivalent foot/cycling tunnel........if Greenwich can have one.......
Tuesday 25 June 2013 8.02am
STXMLD,
You were never going to win this one. TB is iconic and the opening of it is one of the reasons as well as position and design.
All road traffic can take other routes, boats cannot, Simples.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: