Eye tests

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 25 June 2013 1.45pm
I'm looking for somewhere that is recommended for good (cheap?) eye tests in SE1. I've used the Institute of Optometry in the past, but they can't do anything until the end of August.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Wednesday 26 June 2013 3.29pm
Go to Tesco at Surrey Quays. It's free. They're very good there too.
Thursday 27 June 2013 2.11am
I'd second that, my friend says they're good. There's also a Specsavers at Surrey Quays.

I know we're all supposed to support independent local businesses, but some of the worst experiences of opticians I have had have been with independents. The same friend went to the one in the Blue years ago (now gone)and for months was walking around with completely the wrong prescription and blinding headaches!
Thursday 27 June 2013 11.48am
Paul ring them now as they are arranging extra clinics, apparently they had no cover for maternity leave. I have just spoke to the appointment reception, really pleasant young lady may I add...

0207 2349641.you will get in quicker than the end of august...
Thursday 27 June 2013 2.16pm
Boots at Surrey Quays is ok - they can usually fit me in within a week or so.
Thursday 27 June 2013 7.35pm
I went into Boots at Surrey Quays this Monday, they gave me an appointment for today, (Thursday) at 12.15. Had it today,and was told that I have a scar on the surface of my left eye which will need to be checked at Guys/St. Thomas's.
Jeez! I thought that scarring occurred when something made contact with the area, e.g. knife wounds etc., how do you get a scar if you have no recall of anything like that?
I'm guessing, and hoping, that it's something like a large piece of grit blown into the eye that I don't remember, but probably rubbed when I should have left it alone.
The good news is that I still only need glasses for reading.
It's a requirement that I no longer need, but if I was at the Charing X Rd. end of Oxford St., I could see someone with their hand up, hailing a cab at Oxford Circus!
Sunday 30 June 2013 9.04pm
Stick with the big chains. The best experiences and best value glasses I've had are always from them. The times I've tried to be good and support local businesses, I've spent far more than I should have.

For contact lenses, try Iris Optical in Shad Thames. They don't do eye tests but will match your prescription for a good price.
Thursday 4 July 2013 10.54pm
Another recommendation for Boots Surrey Quays. They don't have the newest gizmos but the optician I saw was very good and did a thoroughexamination. There was no pressure to buy new glasses post exam.
Monday 15 July 2013 11.18am
Thanks for all the replies. I went to Boots in Surrey Quays and got some good service at short notice.
Tuesday 20 May 2014 4.51pm
Hi guys,

My optical store in Shad Thames (Iris Optical, mentioned by vickt above) is now offering eye tests. We've been in the area since 2000 but we only start testing eyes from next Thursday - we're offering all appointments for 5 as an introductory offer.

You can book online at http://www.irisoptical.co.uk/book or by phone on 020 7407 7951.

Hope this helps in future!

Kind regards,
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: