SE1 social housing subsidy and coalition

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 June 2013 8.38pm
Wonga Wonga Osborne today announced that he would save 540m by 2017-18 by introducing a less generous formula to subsidise the rent levels of social landlords, including housing associations. It sounds to me like a serious attack on social housing rent levels. With the number of social housing tenants in Southwark I can't wait to see Mr Hughes try to square that circle .. I wonder if it will feature heavily in the Lib Dem electoral manifesto for the 2014 local and 2015 general elections???
Thursday 27 June 2013 5.44pm
boroughonian wrote:

Thanks for that boroughonian.. Yes, a very interesting article that suggests the economic case for social housing is a strong one. With the insistence of government in cahoots with certain local authorities in their determination to reclassify social housing as 'affordable housing' one wonders if they are really pursuing an economically inflationary policy.. ie. as 'affordable' rents rise at a quicker rate than social rents ( they are after all based on 80% of the market rate) the toll on the housing benefit bill will be significant.
Thursday 27 June 2013 9.01pm
Well with government spending at 750 billion an attack on the so called subsidy of 1.2 billion can be seen as nothing else other than downright Tory principles.
I bet there's a story behind the 1.2 billion in the first place,are excess rent revenues included in that?
Thursday 27 June 2013 9.58pm
boroughonian wrote:
Well with government spending at 750 billion an attack on the so called subsidy of 1.2 billion can be seen as nothing else other than downright Tory principles.
I bet there's a story behind the 1.2 billion in the first place,are excess rent revenues included in that?
IMHO an attack on the so called subsidy is really an embrace of the good old tory principle of the 'deserving and undeserving poor' on this occasion linked conveniently to a half baked lottery ticket housing policy.
Excess rent revenues? What would they be then?
Thursday 27 June 2013 10.08pm
Profits made from council housing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: