Dentist complaints

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 2 July 2013 12.49pm
Where would be a good starting point if I wanted complain about quality of dental treatment? Can't afford the money to go to another dentist at the moment..should I just turn up at kings dental unit if poor quality filling has dropped out within 2/3 weeks?
Tuesday 2 July 2013 1.02pm
Depends whether you want back to go to same dentist for treatment or not.

May be worth writing to the dentist against whom you have a complaint and ask him/her to pay for repair/urgent remedial treatment with another dentist (suggest 3 names?) and ask them to reply within 7 days, failing which you will complain to GDC (General Dental Council) and/or bring claim. Not sure the GDC can go far. It would depend on the seriousness of the allegations.

Never done anything like that by the way...just a thought...
Tuesday 2 July 2013 2.01pm
Talk about all our yesterdays.
On my first "appearance" at the Public Carriage Office to be tested on my "Knowledge" of London I was asked by the examiner, "Take me from the Eastman Dental Hospital to the General Dental Council."
Yes sir, Grays Inn Rd. to Wimpole St.
Leave on the right Grays Inn Rd., L. into Sidmouth St., fwd. Tavistock place, fwd. Gordon Sq., fwd. Byng Place, fwd. Torrington Place, R. into Tottenham Court Rd., L into Howland St., fwd New Cavendish St., R. into Wimpole St., set down on right.
It's like riding a bike, you never forget. Good luck with your 'ampsteads Jan.
Tuesday 2 July 2013 2.35pm
I don't know much about fillings ie whether they can occasionally fall off, but I think you should at least talk to your dentist. S/he can explain, and they will replace it free of charge if you are reassured. If you have had good service in the past, use this as a guide. If it is a new dentist in the practice, get another one to have a look. You shouldn't have to pay again.
Tuesday 2 July 2013 2.43pm
Just in the final stages of a legal case against a dentist right now so fairly familiar with all this. The first thing is to raise your concern with the dentist first and foremost (might be useful to do it in writing, just in case). If they are any good they will offer to fix the problem. If it happens again you might lose confidence and therefore wish to seek treatment elsewhere and then it all depends on whether you are receiving NHS or private treatment.

If NHS, then you will need to go through NHS complaints procedures. If you look online (just google: ''complaint about NHS dentist') there is info on how to complain. PALS used to be on hand to help with this sort of stuff (and are great in my experience) but I'm not sure whether they are being phased out or not.

If the treatment was private then you need to go straight to the GDC complaints service or take legal action (or both!). There are a number of no win no fee services but legal action is a slow and painful process (much like the crappy dental service we received ha!), to say the least.

In our case, the treatment was private and I've been quite shocked at how difficult this whole process has been. It seems that dentists can get away with appalling treatment because most of the time we don't know better and then of course the system is designed to protect them - sigh!

Best of luck with getting this all sorted Jan. Who knows, there may be some legal eagle reading about this who knows better than me how to get this solved quickly.
Tuesday 2 July 2013 8.26pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
On my first "appearance" at the Public Carriage Office to be tested on my "Knowledge" of London I was asked by the examiner, "Take me from the Eastman Dental Hospital to the General Dental Council."
Leave on the right Grays Inn Rd., L. into Sidmouth St., fwd. Tavistock place, fwd. Gordon Sq., fwd. Byng Place, fwd. Torrington Place, R. into Tottenham Court Rd., L into Howland St., fwd New Cavendish St., R. into Wimpole St., set down on right.

Wasn't that examiner known as "Dracula"? The blokes tooth mad.
Tuesday 2 July 2013 10.33pm
boroughonian wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:

Wasn't that examiner known as "Dracula"? The blokes tooth mad.

I think that it may have been Mr. Finley, he would drive you nuts, he'd walk around the room humming, or picking his nose, anything to put you off your concentration while you were trying to think of the location of the Paraguayan embassy or somewhere.
Rumour has it that at his funeral, the hearse arrived at the cemetery, and he pushed open the coffin lid and said, "If you had gone down Lots Rd. and then Townmead Rd. to Wandworth Bridge it would have have been a shorter route!"
Wednesday 3 July 2013 11.16am
Definitely dont want to go back! very nice, very pretty, very slapdash! and Tom your post had me in stitches...not in my oral cavity either! I am a NHS patient and my old dentist who I had for 20 years was great, and that was why when I realised the surgery had changed hands felt a stab of fear..and in all honesty she never hurt me at all, but she seemed just so ready to extract teeth. My old dentist would have cleaned my tooth out properly before replacing a filling, and when he cleaned them it was a thorough job..My teeth were in a terrible state due to a variety of incidents which i wont go into here, but my old dentist would not extract without a very good reason. Overall I am not willing even to approach the dentist which is not like me at all, I am normally ready to battle for things that I genuinely think is wrong. I wonder if she looked at me 'ampsteads and thought I can see a nice set oh nhs gnashers in there!
Thursday 4 July 2013 1.21pm
Years ago (like in the 80s), I was dead broke and needed dental work.

I went (without appointment) to the Eastman were top consultant did my teeth for free on condition of having his class crowding around the chair staring into my open mouth.

He would ask things like: "ok what should I do now?", or "does anyone know whay I'm doing this?".

Took longer than usual, but it was sterling work.

Worth finding out if this still happens there.

Best wishes!
Thursday 4 July 2013 7.37pm
That would be great joules, I will get there as soon as I can!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: