Shad Thames Nightclub (Salernos)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 4 July 2013 7.55am
Salernos restaurant (ex KaiThai Fusion) on Lafone Street have submitted a licensing application for music/dancing, opening until 02:00 weekdays, 02:30 weekends;

http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=841358

Objections accepted until July 16th
Thursday 4 July 2013 12.06pm
LocalLad wrote:
Salernos restaurant (ex KaiThai Fusion) on Lafone Street have submitted a licensing application for music/dancing, opening until 02:00 weekdays, 02:30 weekends;
http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=841358

Objections accepted until July 16th

Music and dance "only" until midnight it appears, but still...
Thursday 4 July 2013 12.43pm
I think the title of this thread is a little misleading - it isn't a nightclub; it's a restaurant.

It seems perfectly reasonable. It is not really a nightclub or rave venue and it looks as though this activity is all ancillary to the main trade of food.

They may not be planning to trade until those hours regularly anyway; it could be just to cover special bookings etc.

I have no affiliation with this place: I didn't even know what Salernos was until I Googled it.
Thursday 4 July 2013 12.52pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I think the title of this thread is a little misleading - it isn't a nightclub; it's a restaurant.
It seems perfectly reasonable. It is not really a nightclub or rave venue and it looks as though this activity is all ancillary to the main trade of food.
They may not be planning to trade until those hours regularly anyway; it could be just to cover special bookings etc.

I have no affiliation with this place: I didn't even know what Salernos was until I Googled it.

Unless they have a rule that only those that have used the restaraunt can use the "nightclub" then it's the food trade that will become ancillary in my opinion,it's happened so many times albeit in slightly downmarket (to Shad Thames) surroundings,the food becomes a "front" for the late license.
Thursday 4 July 2013 2.03pm
I've never been to Salernos but have walked past it on several occasions and it looks to be set up as a classy Italian restaurant, so I'm not sure about the aspect of the food being a front to get the licence.

I think a bar that is open later that 11pm would be useful for the area, especially one that provides a civilised place to have a beer/glass of wine. If nothing else it will mean that I don't have to spend my Saturday nights in the City/West End.

If the licence does get granted I'm sure the proprietors will run the place in accordance with the area- I would estimate that the large majority of their trade will come from Shad Thames residents, so they're not going to want to annoy the locals as their business won't last long.
Thursday 4 July 2013 3.28pm
I've walked past the place and it does look like a bar versus a restaurant inside given that the bar is virtually the length of the restaurant. Outside tables look ok but again the flame/fire features make it look like a bar/nightclub.

I don't have much faith in the proprietors. I noticed last week Salerno's must have been flyering as there were promotional leaflets/menus for Salerno's strewn all over the corner of Curlew and Queen Eliz. Street. This strikes me as proprietors who are interested in promoting/moving their business forward without worrying about the local community.
Thursday 4 July 2013 4.55pm
I actually quite like the look of it from their website. I don't quite follow the whole 'nightclub' thing and I think there's an element of NIMBYism here. NickTheGreek puts it far better than I can, but they're hardly likely to ostracise their immediate neighbours.
Thursday 4 July 2013 6.28pm
Probably popping in and having a chat with the proprietor(s) might balance expectations/anxieties. Maybe calling it a "Nightclub" is a bit misleading.
Sunday 7 July 2013 11.30am
Always useful to consider the big picture rather than just each individual case. Remember that "Shad Thames" has, in the last 25 years or so, seen the number of restaurants and bars go from about 6 to 26 or more. Yes you could see this as an amenity for local residents but there have been very many and very significant quality of life negatives too. So much so that Southwark council once considered designating the area as a "Saturation Zone" (i.e. getting out of hand) but backed down almost certainly because of industry lobbying. Objecting to late hours, should anyone want to, is about fairness, maintaining or striving for, a balanced neighbourhood and a reasonable quality of life.
Thursday 11 July 2013 11.21am
Dear All

My name is Peter Davis and I am the owner of Salerno's. Let me start by saying that in no way are we to make our great restaurant a night club. Crazy thoughts. I am interested to find out how this word came into the aplication. It is not in our official application with the council. What we are aiming to acheive is the following. combined with the new music laws and combined with our application we are wanting to achieve a stylish venue that, after you have had your meal, if you so desire you can have a dance with the music to be at an acceptable level as not to disturb residence. With the new extension it would allow weddings and private parties to go on that little bit longer.

Pleaee pop in and say hallo and to talk further.

Regards

peter
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: