Window Cleaner Scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 5 July 2013 2.46pm
Like a mug this morning I handed 15 over to a bogus window cleaner. Must have tailgated his way into our apartment block then knocked on doors. Gave me some blag about doing a regular clean every month or 3 months. As it was only 15 & the outside windows needed cleaning I handed over the cash - never to see him again. You have been warned. Any other mugs out there?
Friday 5 July 2013 2.51pm
We've been around this block before! Watch out!
Friday 5 July 2013 2.54pm
Thanks Jackie. Feel really stupid but I tend to take people at face value until proved wrong. I was.
Saturday 6 July 2013 7.04pm
In this day and age where work is scarce you think he would get on the straight and narrow and use the demand for his services....
Sunday 7 July 2013 7.23am
Yep bucket rag & ladder and he's in business - pathetic really.
Monday 8 July 2013 11.28am
My partner saw him the other day if it's the same guy - who also scammed us some years ago.
Unfortunately, this time, partner did not have his phone on him - or he'd have taken his picture for all social media to see!
Sorry for you - I know you can feel like an idiot - I certainly did. Usually it's because you are a good person thinking the best of people that you fall for it - which should be admirable qualities.
Monday 8 July 2013 4.59pm
Sounds like a similar man conned me out of 20. I was waiting for 5 change but he never came back. I live in a gated community so he must have tailgated someone and then started knocking on doors too. It was a day that the caretaker had taken off on leave so I was unable to verify him. Up until then we had got window cleaners in every three months and I thought they had changed without notifying me. I must have unwittingly "led" him with my line of questioning. I have a skylight that needed cleaning urgently and he spoke of a cherry picker that he used. Sure enough there was one parked outside. [This turned out to be coincidental - how unlucky was I].

I notified the police but never heard anything more. The moral of this story is not to let anybody in unless you know them or are expecting them.
Sunday 29 June 2014 12.00pm
I think probably the same guy just knocked on my door on Southwark Bridge Road. He almost got me, but was a little too eager to get the money, pressing me and pointing towards an imaginary colleague doing the cleaning down the road that I couldn't see. I felt uncomfortable, so I declined the service. Then, as I was closing the door, I remembered something I had read on the forum a while ago about this.... Thank you forum users for sharing and helping me raise my guard, and beware, the mug is still around!
Sunday 29 June 2014 1.14pm
Isabella wrote:
I think probably the same guy just knocked on my door on Southwark Bridge Road. He almost got me, but was a little too eager to get the money, pressing me and pointing towards an imaginary colleague doing the cleaning down the road that I couldn't see. I felt uncomfortable, so I declined the service. Then, as I was closing the door, I remembered something I had read on the forum a while ago about this.... Thank you forum users for sharing and helping me raise my guard, and beware, the mug is still around!

You should have told him that the Shard is currently looking to hire a window cleaner...
Sunday 29 June 2014 3.36pm
I know of a scam (might have even read it on here) where you get a knock on your door or a buzz on your intercom and someone will claim to be a window cleaner thats been given the contract by your housing association/landlord/estate management team etc etc to clean your windows monthly and you need to pay a month in advance......
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: