Chinese food

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 6 July 2013 7.48am
Where's the best?
Saturday 6 July 2013 11.28am
China
Saturday 6 July 2013 11.55am
It's a country or (arguably) a nationality rather than a true description of food. China has 3 times the population of Europe and a greater landmass with an equivalently diverse set of cuisines; after all no one would compare Polish and Italian food - in fact food from Puglia and from Piedmont is dramatically different.

Traditionally, "Chinese" food in the UK was Cantonese in origin (as that is where British traders went to trade) with some Pekingese influences. Now we have access to Shanghainese, Szechuanese, the food of Hainan etc.

What do you like: light steamed dishes with an abundance of fish and poultry, spicy, oily slow cooked meats or something else.

It may not be the answer that you want but it is an answer!
Saturday 6 July 2013 1.07pm
Weng Wah House, Haverstock Hill, NW3. Okay, not SE1, but you asked where's the best, and in my opinion, (although I'm no connoisseur) I found this restaurant to be the best as far as I'm concerned.
Closer to home, Noodle Time in Nelson Road, Greenwich SE10 is worth an honourable mention.
Saturday 6 July 2013 5.41pm
If i feel like a chinese i head up to China town and have to go to Won-keis :)
Saturday 6 July 2013 7.39pm
Are any of them free of MSG?
The bread knife can't be dealing with it!
Monday 8 July 2013 11.02am
I was a big fan of the Dragon Castle (E&C end of the Walworth Road) but the last visit was below previous high standards... anyone else got a view on this?
Monday 8 July 2013 11.07am
ninja999 wrote:
If i feel like a chinese i head up to China town and have to go to Won-keis :)

Mr Kong is my firm favourite in China Town - infinitely more pleasant dining experience than Wong Keis
Monday 8 July 2013 1.57pm
Shu Castle for Sichuanese on the OKR is excellent.

I can heartily recommend the preserved eggs, mapo tofu, dry-fried green beans and dan dan noodles.

Sichuanese isn't for every one (I love it, not keen on Cantonese at all) so maybe check out the menu online 1st....
Monday 8 July 2013 11.10pm
Dragon Castle had gone down hill for a spell. But the last two times we ate there (yum cha and dinner) the food was fantastic.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: