Walworth Surplus Store

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 7 July 2013 5.48pm
Not strictly SE1, so apols to the pedants.
Walworth Surplus Store, near Baldwins has closed.
I'm sure many of us have fond memories of going in there.

End of an era &c.

Sunday 7 July 2013 7.11pm
Les decided to close his shop weeks ago, really sad, nobody left from the old days.
Sunday 7 July 2013 8.29pm
About time. The guy had mental health issues. Incredibly rude and threatening.!
Sunday 7 July 2013 10.38pm
never darkened his doors again after going in there in the 70s as a young woman trying to find a canvas satchel. He had some very faded ones hanging up outside and I made the mistake of asking if he had any non-faded ones. Now, I'm no stranger to the odd swear word myself, but he was something else!
Monday 8 July 2013 8.20am
is there still an army surplus near surrey docks,sorry quays?
Monday 8 July 2013 9.11am
If it's Jays you are thinking of..yes it is still there
Monday 8 July 2013 9.35am
There's a small Army Surplus shop on The Cut still just along from Tas.
I was writing an article a couple of years back for a friends website about quirky and vintage clothing shops and a few of us went down to the shop on the Walworth Road where the photographer walked into the shop while he was still putting goods up outside. "Can I help you?" asked Les. "Just looking at the moment" replied my friend. "Well go look somewhere else, i'm busy!"
Monday 8 July 2013 3.21pm
I went there once, shortly after I moved to E&C, and was also appalled by the man's rudeness and by the poor quality of the wares he traded.

After that, I would travel up to Lawrence Corner if I needed something 'surplussy': now when that store closed, it really was a shame...
Monday 8 July 2013 3.39pm
I've always found the chap on The Cut fine, and the goods reasonable value for money.

If you want high tech or fashionable outdoor gear, it's not the place for you, but I've bought basics (eg rucksacks and camping gear) from there and had no problem at all with their durability.
Monday 8 July 2013 3.51pm
I've had a thing for (army) surplus stores ever since I was little ( my dad used to take me); I have been to quite a few, both in Europe and in the States and most owners were eccentric to say the least. It is a shame to see them disappear really.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: