Alexander Fleming House (also known as Metro Central Heights)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 9 July 2013 10.54pm
I never thought it would happen, but Erno Goldfinger's Alexander Fleming House has become a listing building.

[photo credit: from the Flickr site of the great Iqbal Aalam]

Now for a campaign to change the name back from the daft "Metro Central Heights".
Tuesday 9 July 2013 11.37pm
I always thought it was listed to be honest,don't know where I got that from,agree about the name!
Wednesday 10 July 2013 10.07am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
I never thought it would happen, but Erno Goldfinger's Alexander Fleming House has become a listing building.

I thought it was a joke and the 'listing' was caused by subsidence.

How will listing affect residents?

Listing is a tool to identify those buildings that should be celebrated as having architectural and historic interest, and where changes should be carefully considered. Listed buildings can be altered, extended and sometimes even demolished within government planning guidance. The local authority uses this consent process to make decisions that balance the site's historic significance against other issues such as function, condition or viability.

You will need to apply for Listed Building Consent in order to make changes that will affect the special interest of your listed building. Planning information on making changes to listed buildings and links to grant information is available from the planning pages of our website.
Wednesday 10 July 2013 10.31am
What a joke. Ugly old crap listed while the Tooley Street railway building is torn down to make the area even More sterile.
Wednesday 10 July 2013 1.33pm
I think it was listed as a heritage type building years ago, I remember some type of 'artwork' hung from each window prior possibly to it being converted, cant remember if it was the alphabet, the windows looked out over the roundabout, perhaps south london press has a photo?
Thursday 11 July 2013 1.41pm
beetroot

Some of us call the "ugly old crap" home and quite like it...
Thursday 11 July 2013 11.00pm
spcoops wrote:
beetroot
Some of us call the "ugly old crap" home and quite like it...

Seconded.
Friday 12 July 2013 6.40am
phoney wrote:
Lang Rabbie wrote:

I thought it was a joke and the 'listing' was caused by subsidence.

How will listing affect residents?

Listing is a tool to identify those buildings that should be celebrated as having architectural and historic interest, and where changes should be carefully considered. Listed buildings can be altered, extended and sometimes even demolished within government planning guidance. The local authority uses this consent process to make decisions that balance the site's historic significance against other issues such as function, condition or viability.

You will need to apply for Listed Building Consent in order to make changes that will affect the special interest of your listed building. Planning information on making changes to listed buildings and links to grant information is available from the planning pages of our website.

Southwark Planning is preparing information to assist and answer residents questions about the listing. It came as a surprise to all of us. Agreeing a Management Plan for the buildings seems most sensible. It would allow internal alterations to flats without the need to apply for listed building consent.
Friday 12 July 2013 10.54am
Makes me laugh everytime I pass it as it used to be the old DHSS offices and it still looks like it from the outside.
jpm
Friday 12 July 2013 12.11pm
I'm delighted it's been listed (and surprised it hasn't been listed sooner like Goldfinger's Trellick Tower and Balfron Tower).

Remember that listing is about 'architectural and historic interest' - which can certainly be applied here. It doesn't just mean 'old'.

'ugly' is an entirely subjective word and so is hard to assess.

I'm with those who love this as a piece of architecture. Well done for this listing.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: