Tower Bridge Magistrates' Court

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 10 July 2013 1.57pm
It seems the magistrates' court has finally closed. It seems to have been kept very quiet - i.e. not in the local news - but there were notices posted on the doors saying it closed on 28 June. I wonder how long it'll take to be turned into luxury flats.
Wednesday 10 July 2013 3.37pm
I was fined 10 there in 1967, for a traffic offence.
I was driving an oil tanker in those days.
As I approached a zebra crossing in Gt. Dover St., a woman, and a little girl pushing a doll's pram stepped on to the crossing.
I applied the foot brake and it oh so slowly went straight to the floorboard.
The pipe that carried the brake fluid from the cylinder to the brake mechanism had fractured.
The hydraulic oil just spurted out onto the road, a fact attested to by the police mechanic that was summoned to the scene.
The woman and the little girl ran out of the way fortunately, but they left the doll's pram on the crossing.
I flattened it at about 5 - 8 m.p.h.
Even though the police mechanic testified in court that it was a one in a million accident that the pipe had fractured, the magistrates, in their infinite wisdom, found me guilty of driving without due care and attention.
As a young man I had held a rather cavalier attitude toward authority.
After the judgement in the magistrate's court that attitude elevated to virtual total contempt.
Tuesday 7 April 2015 5.16pm
The new owners are exhibiting their hotel plans on Thursday 16 April and Saturday 18 April.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 November 2015 11.12pm
Decision due at planning committee next week:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: