Shard Climbing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 11 July 2013 9.13am
Looks like some folks will go to any lengths not to pay the observation deck charge!

Shard on the BBC

Related news & features

Thursday 11 July 2013 2.44pm
The British Mountaineering Club have added it to their list of climbs:

Quote:
A photogenic and very public crag. Offers an adventurous and arresting challenge for climbers who can manage the delicate approach. Strangely, whilst actual crag appears to be banned, ethics in this area have a long history of debate and it looks like drilling is permitted.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/viewcrag.aspx?id=1050
Friday 12 July 2013 7.47am
Is this honestly the 'art installation that will make Shell think twice'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23266281
Friday 12 July 2013 8.01am
After climbing for 15 hours, they were too exhausted to execute the installation. And what will you be doing today to bring awareness of environmental destruction in the Arctic?
Friday 12 July 2013 9.29am
Tolstoy wrote:
After climbing for 15 hours, they were too exhausted to execute the installation. And what will you be doing today to bring awareness of environmental destruction in the Arctic?

Nothing, not that it is relevant to my question. You?
Friday 12 July 2013 10.10am
Your comment comes across as derisory and in the face of the international attention these girls actions achieved, frankly petty. If I've missed some subtle nuance please correct me.
Friday 12 July 2013 10.26am
I was asking if that was the piece of artwork they were intending to display. No more, no less. I hadn't read anything to suggest that they were too tired to carry out their plan in full.

Seems the answer was 'no'.
Friday 12 July 2013 10.32am
Tolstoy wrote:

After doing something which ensured that god knows how many gallons of helicopter fuel would be burnt tracking every minute of the 15 hour climb, only to unveil a banner the size of a large bath towel, and after even their own publicity person (on BBC 10pm news last night) seemed to only want to discuss the Health & Safety aspects of the climb rather than what it was protesting against, I'm not sure that they did all that much to stem environmental destruction, to be honest.

Just a thought, but why weren't they climbing one of the prominent Shell buildings?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 12 July 2013 11.09am
The Guardian has changed the text of the story but yesterday it referred to them being too exhausted to complete the installation, though in truth I cringed at what they had in mind, the flag works for me. The Shard serves function as a metaphor for the arctic as shards of ice.

Ah yes, the literal, passionless rationalisation process.

I think as an action it was very effective in raising awareness, certainly people I spoke to yesterday could make the connections. Six girls climbing a building make a difference in the short term? No. But read as part of collective action across nation states saying enough is enough of top down decision making, I think it speaks to a lot of people in many walks of life.
Zoe
Friday 12 July 2013 11.16am
Let it be a lesson to anyone else, next time bring a much bigger flag, it's really high up there.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: