Should our MP receive a pay rise?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 July 2013 7.24pm
The IPSA recommendations are out and now there is a 'consultation'.. Should the MP for Bermondsey and Old Southwark receive a pay rise?
Thursday 11 July 2013 7.36pm
Not the current one - let's wait and see how the next one gets on - there will be another pay review anyway before they get anything
Thursday 11 July 2013 7.50pm
No.
Thursday 11 July 2013 8.21pm
Sheesh. Should the MP for Bermondsey and Old Southwark be eligible for up to a year's salary as a golden goodbye? Should he have a final salary pensions instead of one based on his career average salary? Personally I find the IPSA recommendations make a lot of sense.
Friday 12 July 2013 6.36am
When parliament stops cutting benefits and freezing public sector salaries then it may think about giving itself a pay rise. When they turn round and say we are no longer failing, our deficit has gone, then they can think about a pay rise. Not before.
Friday 12 July 2013 9.16am
How much should an MP be paid?

As much as a police sergeant? As much as a Headteacher? As much as a cab driver? As much as a doctor? Minimum wage? As much as a nurse? As much as the average person in his or her constituency?

Personally, given the work that I'd expect an MP to do, I don't necessarily see that 74k is excessive. I'm in favour of MPs being paid a good wage, if it's coupled with clear expectations of the work they must do, and if there's monitoring to make sure that they work hard, and censure/sacking if they're not working hard.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 12 July 2013 9.43am
NO.

I agree with Ivanhoe but think the timing would be insensitive to say the least,let's not forget we have people who's benefits are being cut because they happen to have an extra bedroom,amongst other benefit cuts that is.
Friday 12 July 2013 10.32am
I don't think 74k, relative to other jobs of similar responsibility, is excessive.

However, to be talking about a hefty pay-rise for public servants who earn a substantial amount funded by the public purse at a time when many are struggling and services are being cut, is ridiculous.
Friday 12 July 2013 11.24am
May I point you again at the recommendations document, specifically the end of page 9 and all of page 10 (points 18-21). Then maybe point 33 on page 14 about resettlement payments (golden goodbyes) which are being gradually withdrawn.

It's a very well written document - think you might find yourself reading quite a bit more of it.
Friday 12 July 2013 11.32am
I do not think any of them should get a pay rise in these time of austerity. I have nothing against Simon Hugues and I am sure he is "trying" as hard as the others. They can claim money for their expenses and some claim a lot.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: