Are 10000 new council homes in Southwark enough?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 16 July 2013 8.23pm
10,000 new council homes for Southwark over 30 years.. which I believe is an average of approx. 333.33 a year. Is this a sufficient response to our housing crisis?
Zoe
Wednesday 17 July 2013 6.17am
I don't think it's enough but it's a pretty good response compared to most councils. We need to try to get some in SE1.
Wednesday 17 July 2013 9.56am
It's a good idea. Where will 10,000 new council homes go though? Esp if the North of the Borough continues to be developed for a certain strand of people who do not need to access council housing and it's cheap rent and secure tenancies. Also will the 10,000 new council homes be the normal target rent or the new 'affordable' rent?

Is there a link to this story anywhere? I only heard about plans for 1000 new council homes.
Wednesday 17 July 2013 10.15am
Where will they build so many in Southwark?
Wednesday 17 July 2013 11.35am
Is there a link to this story anywhere? I only heard about plans for 1000 new council homes.

Hi,

A link to the story can be found here

The full cabinet report can be viewed here though note that the report will be updated to reflect their decision yesterday to commit to building 10,000 new homes. You can also view the report which outlines all responses received from residents throughout the engagement process.

Regards,
Alice Orr-Ewing| Resident Involvement Coordinator
Community Participation | Housing and Community Services Department | Southwark Council |
Postal Address: 2/4, PO Box 64529, SE1P 5LX

Tel: 020 7525 7791| alice.orr-ewing@southwark.gov.uk
Wednesday 17 July 2013 1.27pm
londonbridge69 wrote:
10,000 new council homes for Southwark over 30 years.. which I believe is an average of approx. 333.33 a year. Is this a sufficient response to our housing crisis?

I suppose it depends a lot on how many will be subsequently sold off at a discount to the occupiers...

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 17 July 2013 2.10pm
Zoe, agree that its a good comparative response.. but doesn't it underline just how inadequate both central and local government are when dealing with this issue?..the numbers on the housing list are growing with all the absurd implications and social and financial costs of such a growth.
Merlin, yep, I'm afraid that the definitions of 'affordability' used in so called 'affordable housing' frankly astonish me. When most people in 'social housing' earn less than 24k a year.. and with increasing rents/service charges is it any wonder that people are suspicious of attempts to develop 'affordable' as opposed to 'social' housing.
Ivan, I imagine by the time they get built.. the occupiers won't be able to afford ( or indeed get) a mortgage.
Wednesday 17 July 2013 6.02pm
Southwark College (LeSoCo) on The Cut are selling off some land in order to fund the re-development. I think it would be great if they sold to LBS so that we can get some more social housing in SE1. However, I suspect they will sell to developers who will pay more for the land and they will build expensive apartments and a few 'affordable' units. I think 10,000 homes is a good start; not many other boroughs are building new council properties but I do think LBS need to ensure that they don't just build in Peckham and Camberwell otherwise they could be accused of social engineering (perhaps a bit extreme, but they did sell off a chunk of land off Blackfriars Road which they could have built on themselves and that will consist of expensive housing with the obligatory 'affordable' housing). 'Affordable' - because only professional could afford the prices.
Saturday 20 July 2013 9.01pm
The commitment to build 10,000 new council homes is the largest pledge made by any council in Britain, and although will not answer all of Southwark's housing shortage, has to be seen in this context.
If every council in London made a similar commitment we would have a programme for over 300,000 new homes in a period when the Mayor estimates we will need up to 1 million new homes. The private sector and other RSL's will have to provide the rest of the answer.
The rents of the new council homes we build will be at target rent - the same as existing council properties. And they will be built right across the borough - including SE1. Some of the first to be built under our 1000 new council homes programme will be on Long Lane.
Southwark is - and will remain - the largest council house provider in London, and this new commitment will increase our overall stock to over 60,000.
There are always reasons to criticise and pick apart political decisions - but this commitment is truly historic and I hope will be welcomed and supported by SE1 residents.
Now it's over to other councils to come forward with their commitments.
Zoe
Sunday 21 July 2013 6.36am
Hi Cllr John,

Thanks for contributing. You are absolutely right when you say every Council building properties could make a genuine difference to the housing crisis (and would help stabilise private rents, which would further contribute) and it would be great if they took up this challenge. On the basis that some councils are Westminster they probably won't!

Will you be trying to get the Labour Party to adopt this as national policy? Look how Southwark has led on the free school dinners and now there's talk of doing this nationally for all children (we all know it already, but this is clear evidence that we are ace in Southwark). It can sometimes be difficult to separate Labour from the other parties nationally and policies like this would go some way.

However, back to SE1. Are there any other sites planned?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: