Baldwins sarsparilla

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 17 July 2013 5.22pm
thinking about the surplus store shutting up shop on walworth road made me think as a young un i used to remember a long queue on saturday morning for this,,, do people still buy it ? and was it just taste or did it have medicinal properties? anyone know?
Wednesday 17 July 2013 8.56pm
Still love it Dave, still buy it, they sell it in Manzes pie shop tower bridge road, and the other day in the tescos in new kent road ( corner of harper road) they had it for a pound a bottle...blood purifying was the claim...none of us lot were ever sick....
Wednesday 17 July 2013 10.12pm
can,t remember if i tasted it or not.... was it a bit vimto like.....
Thursday 18 July 2013 8.58am
i remember the stall in East Street in the winter that sold hot sarsparilla - probably against EC rules now!!
Thursday 18 July 2013 11.49am
My Nan would never let me have a drink from the hot sarsaparilla stall, she said they didn't wash the glasses properly! They seemed to just dip them in the hot water.

Jan - they couldn't get away with calling it blood purifying nowadays - The only thing that can "purify" your blood is a big expensive machine at the hospital!
Thursday 18 July 2013 11.57am
I still buy it from Baldwins or Manze's on TBR. Hot or cold, it still taste's good!
Thursday 18 July 2013 12.02pm
The one sold down the lane was not the same type of sarsaprilla as the baldwins one in my opinion and me mums! But the hot blackcurrant sold on the stall especially in winter was first rate...
Thursday 18 July 2013 12.18pm
...and you didn't catch the germs my Nan was convinced were on all the glasses! To think of all those cold winter mornings when I could have had a lovely hot drink and didn't!
Thursday 18 July 2013 12.45pm
Jan the old one wrote:
The one sold down the lane was not the same type of sarsaprilla as the baldwins one in my opinion and me mums! But the hot blackcurrant sold on the stall especially in winter was first rate...

it was sarsparilla but not Baldwins sarsparilla - didn't the family who had the stall have their own recipie which they sold on when they shut the stall down??
Thursday 18 July 2013 4.39pm
i used to love going in baldwins on walorth road and having it in a pint glass, with the froth at the top of it. as a kid i felt so grown up and felt like i was standing in a pub drinking beer! lol. there were also some lovley smells in baldwins.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: