Where to buy scotch bonnet peppers in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 22 July 2013 6.11pm
As barbecue season is in full swing, I've decided to give making jerk chicken a go, based on the Felicity Cloake recipe in the Guardian for the "perfect jerk chicken" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jul/12/how-to-cook-perfect-jerk-chicken).

I've got some allspice berries winging their way to me, courtesy of eBay. Does anybody know where I could buy some fresh scotch bonnet peppers in SE1? Or anywhere else, in central London (I work at Paddington)? Tried the Tesco on Tooley Street, but no luck.

Thanks!
Monday 22 July 2013 6.29pm
Massess of stalls and shops in East St sell Scotch Bonnet peppers, only 10 mins on foot from SE1, but I'd also think the Elephant and Castle market does too (down a level by the lower entrance).

Have to admit to using them liquidised with water to put squirrels off digging up flower beds too.... with reasonable success
Monday 22 July 2013 9.46pm
The shop next to Ali kebab on long lane sells them for pound
Monday 22 July 2013 10.33pm
booths/tayshaw on druid st
Monday 22 July 2013 11.52pm
i second booths. bought myself some last week for exactly the same purpose and the same recipe. it was a win.

p.s. also the stick the marinade under the skin move is a good one. just in case you were wondering.
Tuesday 23 July 2013 11.07am
Luke wrote:
I'd also think the Elephant and Castle market does too (down a level by the lower entrance).

I can confirm that you can buy Scotch Bonnet peppers at the E&C market, and also at the stall inside the shopping centre opposite the Sundial Cafe'.
Wednesday 24 July 2013 5.40pm
East st market's the best. The Algerian shops on old Kent road also sell them.
Wednesday 24 July 2013 9.36pm
Thanks so much for all the replies guys. Might hedge my bets with shop of Long Lane or Booths, as it's a lot more convenient for me to get to. Does anybody know if either are open in the evening so I can get there after work? Say till 19:00ish?

Thanks again.
Thursday 25 July 2013 8.40am
The Co-Op on Southwark Bridge Road has some today. On the stand as you walk in the door on your right. Above the herbs etc.
Thursday 25 July 2013 7.48pm
adam_smith wrote:
The Co-Op on Southwark Bridge Road has some today. On the stand as you walk in the door on your right. Above the herbs etc.

Many thanks, went there after work and it looks like the jerk chicken is on for this weekend. Just gotta pray for no rain now...

Have a good one.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: