Hidden Southwark?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 25 July 2013 7.26pm
At a family party last weekend, my cousin's wife said she wanted to come and see the gates at Cross Bones Graveyard, (my mum had been telling her about it), and also other hiddens gems in my neighbourhood. She lives in west london bit wants to walk around and see old, hidden parts of this area that you wouldnt necessarily find in printed books about London walks.

So where should I take her? Theres a few things she wants to include, like The George Inn, and Southwark Cathedral, but what other secrets can I show? Things along the lines of Cross Bones and the wall of the old debtors prison. My minds blank can only think of obvious spots like down by the clink, or up through shad thames to bermondsey....
Thursday 25 July 2013 8.01pm
Thinking about it, the title of this thread is a bit mis-leading, should be 'hidden SE1'
Thursday 25 July 2013 8.50pm
It's not exactly hidden or secret, but I'd mention the All Hallows garden on Copperfield St.
Thursday 25 July 2013 9.37pm
Bankside: Christopher Wren's house by the Globe theatre, the Anchor pub and Winchester Palace or rather the skeleton of The Rose window, then Southwark Cathedral then the George Inn.
Friday 26 July 2013 6.09am
If you are visiting the cross bones gates, then it would be a shame to miss out on the small, but beautifully maintained Red Cross Gardens, with their association to Octavia Hill, or the recently installed sign at Dog and Pot Corner opposite Southwark tube ( or any of the other Charles Dickens connections in SE1).
Friday 26 July 2013 6.43am
Although it's not in Southwark, a walk over London Bridge to see the church of St Magnus the Martyr is worth it. To stand under its portico that was part of the thoroughfare of the old London Bridge is quite magical.
Friday 26 July 2013 9.27am
Ignore above i've just seen the entrance fee,used to be free!
Monday 29 July 2013 9.18am
Don't forget to look at Dicken's life insurance policy framed on the wall in the George. It's just at the end of the bar.

There's the location of the Tabard Inn, though nothing to see there now.

Jacob's Island? You can get a good idea of how it was from St. Saviours Dock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob's_Island

boroughonian, when was the Old Operating Theatre free? They struggle as it is!
Monday 29 July 2013 10.55am
The operating theatre is still free during open house day in September. Go to see the (foundations of) Rose theatre - It's inside a building on Union Street. Not sure how easy it is to get in though, but worth a try.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: