Supermarket overcharging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 31 July 2013 10.50am
I visited ASDA supermarket on the old kent road yesterday and yet again the price displayed for a product on the shelf , ie. 1 pound was charged at 1.46 pounds when I got to the checkout. I can understand the occasional error.. but this is now happening almost every time I much money are supermarkets making from such practices? Does anyone else have experience of this?
Wednesday 31 July 2013 4.54pm
Ah Asda's down the Old Kent Road my favourite place for this happening.

This has been going on for ages at this branch, because the staff can't change the shelf edge price labels as fast as the prices change on the computer systems for the tills! (which happens on a Monday with Asda)

Another thing they do - all supermarkets do - is gap fill. (because empty spaces on shelfs are a big no no)

This is where a product is not in stock, so they use another product from the same shelf to fill in the gap left.

What's meant to happen is, a 'sorry out of stock label' is put over the label of the item out of stock to avoid any confusion; and 9/10 they don't cover the damn thing.

The best thing you can do, is when you go shopping, is note the prices on the shelf, and whats charged at the till (not as hard as it sounds)

If its wrong, don't bother the poor checkout person, but after you've paid, go to customer services, raise the matter, and have it put right.

If its Asda, not only will you get a refund on the money overcharged - but you will also get a free 2.00 store card for your trouble.

Tesco will refund 'double the amount' you've been overcharged.

I have raised this matter, many, many times with the managers at Asda's down the Old Kent Road, and its great when they treat me like a idiot, and I then let them know I worked for two major supermarkets in the past, and I'm not as thick as they think!

While I know it shouldn't happen, it will, and its annoying, but if Asda are going to give me 2.00 for every-time they over charge me as little as 1p, I'm quite content to take their money!!!!!
Wednesday 31 July 2013 5.37pm
A mobile phone with camera, to take photos of the prices on the shelf where there are doubts might help here, as may shopping later in the week.
Wednesday 31 July 2013 5.59pm

I have indeed followed exactly the same process on more than one occasion and been rewarded for the waste of my time standing in a queue ( sorry if this sounds curmudgeonly.. but I go the supermarket to shop not to spend my time in customer services) on one occasion with the said 2.
My issue is really not so much the inconvenience ( though it is very inconvenient) but in the profits that the supermarket can be accrueing from customers who simply don't notice this organisational scam. I tried reporting this to Southwark's Trading Standards Dept.. but whilst sympathetic were unable to do anything because of a lack of resources.

Graham, an interesting response.... perhaps instead of my shopping later in the week.. Asda might like to get their house in order and close for a few hours in their 24 hours schedule in order to get the prices right!!
Wednesday 31 July 2013 6.29pm
I appreciate what your saying, but, I've raised the point about the staff at Asda putting on the correct shelf edge labels when the store closes from 5pm on Sunday in preparation for Monday morning trading - all I got was a lame excuse about the store not having enough staff!!!!

I also believe that Trading Standards should investigate this matter, like you said the stores are making a fortune in over-charging country wide in their stores, however, I won't hold my breath about this happening anytime soon!

My view on this - and like I said I worked for two major supermarkets - is to keep an eye on the prices, and if over charged, claim back your money and take them for what their schemes pay out by way of an apology; a 2.00 return on being over charging a few pence, I can play them at this game day in, day out!

Like Graham said, using a camera phone is handy to prove your case, but asda will always send a runner to the section the mistake has been flagged up on - and will swiftly remove any offending shelf edge label.

The down side to that, is that other people maybe over charged and not realise.

As the saying goes "Buyer Beware"
Wednesday 31 July 2013 6.31pm
I seem to remember Lambeth trading standards taking a local supermarket to task over this. I'm surprised Southwark's trading standards department didnt want to get stuck into it but god only knows how many staff they have left there after all the cuts in council grant income.
Wednesday 31 July 2013 8.43pm
There is another thread elsewhere on the forum - have experiences of over charging in all the major supermarkets - I use them as little as poss. Sainsbury BHS I would say over charges one in 4 times I shop - you have to always check your bill.... I have reported it to their head office - who have given me vouchers etc..but it still goes on... check your bill with hawk eye.
PS Asda OKR once charged me for a garden fork .. when I clearly had no garden fork and have no garden 14,00- easy money for them when they get a way with it- which is often
Thursday 1 August 2013 9.57am
Not SE1 but I was massively overcharged by M&S in Moorgate last weekend. Went in to get the Dine In For Two at 10, only when I got home did I realise the deal hadn't been applied so I had paid nearly 15 more than I should have (which, I suppose, goes to show what a good deal it is in theory).

Called them on Monday hoping they could sort it out remotely on my card since each receipt has a number but no, I have to go in with the bill. Haven't had time to do it yet but I shall at the weekend for that amount. Bloody nuisance!

It's certainly taught me a lesson: to pause to check my bill before leaving the shop.
Thursday 1 August 2013 10.09am
I had the same over-charging experience in Marks and Spencer Bankside last week.

I emailed Customer Service and got a long patronizing reply that broadly told me I should pay more attention to the full detail of the shelf-edge label.
Thursday 1 August 2013 11.05am
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
I had the same over-charging experience in Marks and Spencer Bankside last week.
I emailed Customer Service and got a long patronizing reply that broadly told me I should pay more attention to the full detail of the shelf-edge label.

I can second this. They are doing this since they've opened.
Every time you speak to the manager or some staff there is always the excuse of the cheaper (openly labelled option) being "just out of stock" and something similar (but far more expensive) put into "available shelf space".
I am absolutely sure they do this on purpose, trusting that the RBS crowd and the tourists don't complain.
The money they lose because locals like me avoid the place now, is obviously of no concern to their management - more money being earned by ripping off other people.

To give them some credit, they are honest - in a weird way: on M&S's CSR website (Plan A - Doing the right thing) 'treating the customer with respect' does not feature; they are not promising to be decent to the people who pay them. So, why do we expect this?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: