Learning Spanish

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 31 July 2013 1.38pm
Hi,

My current employer has just decided to free up all of my time. :(

I'd like to use all this extra time productively, and I've wanted to learn Spanish for quite a while now.
(I've visited a number of times, and I can manage menus, directions, etc but I've got no structure, grammar and very limited vocab.)

For obvious reasons, I don't want this to be too eye-wateringly expensive.

Do the SE1ers have recommendations for fairly immersive/intensive lessons, tutors, groups meeting locally?

Thanks!
Or any other helpful tips?
Zoe
Wednesday 31 July 2013 6.54pm
I did a Spanish course at Morley which was great, but not sure if that would be too expensive. If you have a smartphone there are some really good apps available but it would only teach you the basics. Otherwise, try advertising at E&C, given the large Spanish speaking community?

While I could never manage this, my partner lent a course out of the library, one of those listen and learn in a week. A week later we flew to Granada and he was discussing with people which bus to catch and where to put the recycling. Perhaps you have the dedication I lack to manage such a thing!

Finally, large year I saw that councils like Hackney run cheap short adult education courses, so do a google search. Don't forget to apply for your half price bus pass after 13 weeks if you are still out of work (which hopefully you won't be).
Thursday 1 August 2013 12.33pm
Thanks Zoe,

I'll have a look at Morleys. Fried chicken, triple MMM burgers AND language classes ... who knew?!

By "eye-wateringly expensive", I meant not thousands and thousands. Hiring a Spanish teacher to talk to me for 12 hours a day for a month or whatever.

I'd certainly give the E&C advert a go at a later stage when I've got the basics in place and I'm confident about starting a conversation.

The library's also a great idea. Along with the discounted bus pass, it's not necessarily something you're in the habit of thinking about if you've always been at work all day.

(Long bike rides, enjoying the sun, going to the gym, learning Spanish, baking sourdough bread ... I won't have time to look for a job!)

gracias
Thursday 1 August 2013 3.05pm
I can also recommend the Paul Noble/Collin's Spanish audiobooks. There's three all together, for a few quid. Downloaded to Audible on my phone and used the walk to work to un-rust mi Espaņol.
Thursday 1 August 2013 4.27pm
Try some of these. The FBI courses sound good.
Zoe
Thursday 1 August 2013 7.32pm
If you like doing nice bike rides, you might want to come on Sunday on the Sky Ride from Southwark Park (10am, sign up online). Bring that homemade sourdough bread.

If you can afford to pay for a course, there are several around London you might want to look at, like Westminster Kingsway and Mary Ward.
Sunday 4 August 2013 4.13pm
I know a Spanish lady called Raquel who is a private teacher. I will send her email address to you in direct message. She lives in the area. Good luck with your studies.
Sunday 4 August 2013 4.15pm
Ooops... Your email address is hidden. You could drop me an email and I'll send her email address to you. My email address is kristina.manbridge@yahoo.co.uk
Monday 5 August 2013 3.11pm
Susan Isaacs, who regularly advertises her language classes in our email newsletter, has just launched a new website: http://www.languages2000.co.uk

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 5 August 2013 11.20pm
voices also do fortnightly 'language convergence' social events where you get an opportunity to practice your spanish (i'm yet to go, time just flies!)

http://voiceslanguageconvergence.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/recordatorio-club-de-conversacion.html?m=0
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: