Mayor announces ‘affordable flats’ tower at Elephant and Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 31 July 2013 3.47pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6998

"A 44 storey tower development by Mace and Essential Living will provide 462 units of which 188 will be affordable. It will contain one of the largest number of homes for long-term private rental in the country when complete.

The Peabody Housing Trust has been appointed to manage the affordable housing element with 159 shared ownership and 29 rental units
"

So basically 274 private units and 159 shared ownership where the starting salary needed prices most local people out of that. Then there's 29 rental units.

Question then is will those rental units be target rent (i.e same as local council place rents) or the new 'Affordable Rent' category where Peabody can charge up to 80% of private rental market rate.

The original planning application even when it was rejigged and accepted by the Council that the developers pleaded that they couldn't make it viable ('challenging market conditions'), had 35 rented units and lots of keyworker housing.

And all this on a site bought with taxpayers money for £18 million by the Homes And Community Agency.
Wednesday 31 July 2013 4.48pm
We should all be very cynical of all the planning applications submitted to all councils in London and particularly those Of Lambeth and Southwark, especially Southwark. I cannot think of one planning decision made by Southwark and its officers where the ratepayers and those on the housing list have truly benefitted. Southwark sell off public land at giveaway prices, do not enforce their own policies and always end up with less affordable housing than is promised.
SOmething is rotten in the borough of Southwark. And an administration run as a cabinet will allow abuse to take place, it seems that non-cabinet councillors can be ignored or be browbeaten into agreeing with the select few and their perversion of the councils own policies.
Wednesday 31 July 2013 6.39pm
'And all this on a site bought with taxpayers money for £18 million by the Homes And Community Agency.'

And don't forget the wider £23m cancellation cost of the original London Wide Initiative, of which this scheme was a part of.
Wednesday 31 July 2013 8.11pm
In this news story, there is also reference to Southwark Playhouse having a new home - I thought agreement had been reached for them to return to the arches once construction on London Bridge station had been completed..@James Hatts - am I mistaken..?
Thursday 1 August 2013 10.13am
Bankside Otter wrote:
In this news story, there is also reference to Southwark Playhouse having a new home - I thought agreement had been reached for them to return to the arches once construction on London Bridge station had been completed..@James Hatts - am I mistaken..?

According to the Southwark Playhouse website:

We’re very pleased to say that, with your help, we have managed to secure ourselves a home in the London Bridge Station development which completes in 2018. Network Rail have commited to giving us 1,000 sq m of space and reasonable rent on a long term lease. This has all been signed and sealed in a section 106 agreement (which makes up part of the formal planning permission) which was signed off on 29th March 2012.
Saturday 17 August 2013 8.24pm
there was a recent item on tv that worked out the wages reuired for an affordable" home. In London you need to be earning £80k to actually afford one! the further out you go it gets less, down to about £35 way up north.... is an 80k income really affordable these days? I don't think so

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: