Heygate Scandal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 2 August 2013 9.50am
Saturday 3 August 2013 3.33pm
The BBC's London News report broadcast yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BUzXgUv0ew
Saturday 3 August 2013 7.27pm
This is beyond scandalous. It is venal. It is shameful and cruel. I am just so sick at heart about this truly wicked treatment of decent people. SHAME SHAME SHAME on Southwark Council.
Saturday 3 August 2013 7.41pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
This is beyond scandalous. It is venal. It is shameful and cruel. I am just so sick at heart about this truly wicked treatment of decent people. SHAME SHAME SHAME on Southwark Council.
I agree.
Saturday 3 August 2013 8.51pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:

I agree.
Saturday 3 August 2013 9.43pm
So, what to do about it?
Sunday 4 August 2013 9.48pm
Merlin Rouge,

Here's an idea for you:

Spend our taxes on new Council Houses - not on expensive Public Enquiries for a tiny minority of Heygate Lessees who took advantage of THE prime example of Thatcherite right-wing policy - Council House sales.

The shameful sell-off of these Council houses is one of the main reasons we have a housing shortage.
Sunday 4 August 2013 10.15pm
agree with all- lets do every thing we can to out Southwark
Sunday 4 August 2013 11.04pm
Floodplain, I also think that more Council Houses are needed.

And I would like to see this as policy; i.e. not a vague press release from our council leader saying he would love to build 10,000 council houses [here] released at a time when the scandal of the Heygate is being widely documented, but actual hard policy, including detail on how and where.

But meanwhile I wouldn't like to think that people who bought flats from the council, or more likely people who bought flats from people who bought from the council, should have their basic rights removed. That seems to be what you imply?

At present, forcing anyone to give up their home against their will needs a policy justification, set out as part of a Compulsory Purchase Order.

And the policy justification of our Council and its leader appears to be that they are doing this so that they can spend £45m of our money to demolish 1,000 council flats so that Lend Lease can use the land to build a development of 2,000 private flats, of which 71 will be council.

Our Council and its leader have had since 2010 to develop a policy to support Council Housing, but appear to have seen the light too late to stop the Elephant being turned into a haven for overseas buy-to-let property dealers.

At the Elephant the council even developed its own bespoke Supplementary Planning Document to set the policy framework for Lend Lease's development, and even that required 35% so-called "affordable" housing. Our elected officers have since ignored even this and allowed Lend Lease and all other developers to provide even less because the developers themselves say so - saying it would not be "viable". Not difficult when you can get a "viability assessment" as easy as this blog shows here and then be allowed to keep it a secret during your planning application.

I would like our council now to take heed of the Information Commissioner's recent conclusion that Lend Lease's "viability report" should be public [here], which reads:
“in relation to the general public interest in transparency and accountability, the Commissioner’s general view is that, where this relates to planning matters, there is a strong weighting in favour of encouraging public participation and disclosure is a means of promoting this."
and see they now have the arguments to stand up not just to Lend Lease but to all developers on our behalf and not fight against their own policy, and the public interest, using our money.
Monday 5 August 2013 12.55pm
I still have questions about the legality of flogging off en masse of council property, at the boroughs inception no one would have thould a thing possible...owned by the people and flogged off for private companies to benefit from,

from an old uneducated biddy!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: