DOCTOR FAUSTUS

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 May 2002 10.13am
This is to beg for help from someone! We NEED a copy of DOCTOR FAUSTUS, (1968) starring Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor for our A level exams in a few weeks time. We are DESPARATE!

This is why we need it:

Our college is situated near Birmingham. Last saturday, we had arranged to see the Doctor Faustus production at the Young Vic (www.youngvic.org).

When booking the tickets, we were told we could only book up to 11 tickets, even though we had an english literature group of 18 and a theatre studies group of 6 that all needed to see the play for our A level exams in a few weeks time. Because our college is so far from London, we made sure that the theatre had the phone and fax numbers of the school, and the home number of the teacher in charge, the deputy head.

We had been told by the Young Vic to reach the theatre by 1.30 to ensure a seat. A friend and I arrived at the theatre at 12.30, an hour before the thatre said we should arrive.

Upon arrival at the theatre, posters were being put onto the door stating that the performances forn that day had been cancelled due to "actor injury". This "actor injury" to Jude Law, playing the title role of Faustus, had happened on the Thursday before we were due to go.

We were told by the person on the front desk that they had tried to reach the teacher in charge, and had left mesages.

It turns out that no-one had even attempted to reach our teacher until 1.51, when a message was left on the answerphone. This is nearly 1+1/2 hours after we arrived, and 9 minutes before the performance was due to start.

We had spent over 600 getting to London and getting tickets:

35 x 11 = 385 (train tickets)
20 x 11 = 220 (theatre tickets)

Our teacher was told that no-one had been from Droitwich, where we go to college, which was a total lie, as we had not only been there but had gotten a resource pack, a program, a handwritten name on Young Vic headed notepaper, and had filled in a form giving our names and addresses for the tickets to be refunded.

We have now not seen the performance which we need to comment on for our A level exams in a few weeks, and our grades will suffer because of it. We are DESPARATE to get hold of a copy of the 1969 version starring Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, which would go some way to improving our grades as we would then have SOMETHING to write about in the exam.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has one could we buy it from you, or even borrow it, we really are desparate.

Thanks for your time.

Droitwich Spa High School Sixth Form College.
Bumble Bee
Thursday 2 May 2002 10.39am
A tip for your exam - DESPARATE is actually spelt DESPERATE.
Thursday 2 May 2002 11.22am
Bumble Bee - If you look closely, i'm sure there are lots of mistakes - I was typing quickly.
Bumble Bee
Thursday 2 May 2002 11.39am
I only commented as you spelt it wrong 3 times....
Thursday 2 May 2002 11.46am
It's ok - as I said I was typing quickly so I really wasn't paying much attention to how I was spelling!
Thursday 2 May 2002 12.40pm
i have a copy, whats it worth seeing as you paid 600 for tickets, offers on the table please
sarah
Thursday 2 May 2002 12.44pm
There's no need to be so facetious. I'm sorry you missed the performance Karen, have you tried looking for a copy of the film from Amazon? I hope you manage to find a copy.
Thursday 2 May 2002 5.38pm
Incorrect, \"Popeye and Bluto\", there was 11 people, and between us we paid that much. We are only getting some of it back. We are students, and do not have that sort of money to just go throwing it about - especially not twice!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: