Tunnels

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 August 2013 7.42am
Had an estate agent's flyer in the mailbox yesterday with some local history on it.
The Thames Tunnel was the first to have been constructed beneath a navigable river.
(Whether this was in the world or just U.K. it didn't say.)
Completed in 1843 it runs from Wapping to Rotherhithe, and is the same tunnel that now carries the Overground line.
Dubbed the 8th. Wonder of the World, the tunnel became a pedestrian underground marketplace with stalls selling all manner of goods, and entertainment from fortune tellers to dancing monkeys.
The Rotherhithe tunnel was built in 4 years, from 1904 to 1908 without a single casualty among the 800 men who built it.
This tunnel is designed with sharp bends, to prevent horses from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, which might make them bolt for the exit.
Thursday 8 August 2013 8.53am
Slightly off topic I guess given it's not SE1 but I have just come back from a couple of days at the coast and on the way back on the train,halfway through a seemingly endless tunnel,it did strike me how much work was involved.
We take these things for granted but they're amazing feats in this day and age never mind then.
Thursday 8 August 2013 2.17pm
There's a museum for the Brunel Tunnel that's worth a peek if you're into that sort of thing (I am!) it's just by Rotherhithe Station. There's a decent pub called the Mayflower opposite too!
Thursday 8 August 2013 4.52pm
Michael P wrote:
There's a museum for the Brunel Tunnel that's worth a peek if you're into that sort of thing (I am!) it's just by Rotherhithe Station. There's a decent pub called the Mayflower opposite too!

The Mayflower must have improved then, although I have to admit that I haven't been in there for 7 or 8 years.
The prices suddenly became a bit steep in the early 2000's, I don't know why, maybe the rent and/or rates went up and the publican had little option.
I don't drink beer, but friends who did said that 40 or 50p had been added to a pint.
As soon as I noticed that a double vodka was 1.00 dearer than at a lot of other pubs I switched my allegiance wholly to The Ship, St. Mary Church St.
Prior to that I had used both pubs.
The Mayflower has always been a clean pub though, but heavily favoured by tourists, due to it's connection with the Pilgrim Fathers voyage to the New World.
Friday 9 August 2013 8.09am
Yep the Mayflower has improved, I thought it went downhill a few years ago but last time I went in there I was quite impressed. It wouldn't be my first choice but it was quite nice to sit out on the decking and have a few beers. I used to go there a lot in the 80/90's but then stopped.

I like the Ship too and the Angel, although I'll be honest as someone who was born on the other side of the river I'm more likely to head over to Wapping for my riverside pub fix (using the Tunnel of course, cheers Brunel!)
Friday 9 August 2013 12.57pm
Debrajoan wrote:
Had an estate agent's flyer in the mailbox yesterday with some local history on it.
The Thames Tunnel was the first to have been constructed beneath a navigable river.
(Whether this was in the world or just U.K. it didn't say.)
Completed in 1843 it runs from Wapping to Rotherhithe, and is the same tunnel that now carries the Overground line.
Dubbed the 8th. Wonder of the World, the tunnel became a pedestrian underground marketplace with stalls selling all manner of goods, and entertainment from fortune tellers to dancing monkeys.
The Rotherhithe tunnel was built in 4 years, from 1904 to 1908 without a single casualty among the 800 men who built it.
This tunnel is designed with sharp bends, to prevent horses from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, which might make them bolt for the exit.

woah! I am a bit confused by the different dates going on. Also wondering, they (the agents) weren't really thinking of the Thames Tunnel that ran from Tooley Street to Tower Hill were they. Do you think. As I think that was called the Thames Tunnel but Rotherhithe Tunnel was always (I think) referred to as, er, the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Not sure
Friday 9 August 2013 1.09pm
I think the tunnel being referred to here is the one between Rotherhithe and Wapping, used for London Overground (previously the East London line). Before all of that train business, it originally had like an underground market with stalls etc. It is not to be confused with the Rotherhithe Tunnel which is a separate tunnel.
Friday 9 August 2013 1.11pm
The tunnel inexile is referring to was the Tower Subway.
Friday 9 August 2013 10.20pm
Michael P wrote:
Yep the Mayflower has improved, I thought it went downhill a few years ago but last time I went in there I was quite impressed. It wouldn't be my first choice but it was quite nice to sit out on the decking and have a few beers. I used to go there a lot in the 80/90's but then stopped.
I like the Ship too and the Angel, although I'll be honest as someone who was born on the other side of the river I'm more likely to head over to Wapping for my riverside pub fix (using the Tunnel of course, cheers Brunel!)

I quite like The Town of Ramsgate in Wapping High Street.
As a dyed in the wool old school Londoner, this pub reminds me of how a lot of pubs were years back.
I can't be doing with pubs like The Angel, or the Captain Kidd, Bloggs beer, Bloggs wine, Bloggs vodka, not for me I'm afraid.
I live a five minute walk from Rotherhithe station, jump the Overground, then it's another five minutes to The Town of Ramsgate.
Monday 12 August 2013 12.53pm
Slightly off on a tangent, I took the walking tour led by Robert Hulse, Director of the Brunel Museum last Sunday. It started at Bermondsey tube and walked along the river, ending at the Museum. Fascinating history and Robert is an excellent presenter.

No connection with them, the walk has just been on my To Do list for ages and I happened to finally participate!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: