Internet in The Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 August 2013 11.46pm
Apologies if there is a topic on this already - I did a search, but I'm somewhat limited on my phone!

I live in The Elephant and have been with Virgin Internet for just over 2 years. In the past 6 months, I have had no end of problems with the service - constantly losing connection etc. Earlier in the year there was a 5 week period where I was phoning once a week to tell them that I'd had very little usable service for that week, they'd say there was 'maintenance' every time and knock a fiver off my bill. Then it was fine for a couple of months after I lost my cool one evening...!

Anyway, it's all started to go wrong again! So, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problems? And I'm also wondering if there is a more reliable service you guys use? The cheaper, the better!
Friday 9 August 2013 8.46am
Sorry to hear of your difficulties, cathed. Call Virgin Media's 'customer retention' department and threaten to terminate the contract instantly. They'll send an engineer to come and check/change your router and check/replace the physical cabling. If you persist, they'll also give you some compensation over and above the 'outage'.

Their customer service is extremely variable, but you'll usually get someone helpful in the 'retentions' department.

IMO it's worth you persevering to get your VM fixed - despite their at times disgusting customer service - because, when it's working (which thankfully ours has only stopped working twice in five years, touch wood) it's the best residential broadband for the money.
Friday 9 August 2013 10.58am
Thank you, Gavin. Virgin were excellent for the first 18 months - I even recommended them to my sister and neighbour! - but these last 6 months have been a complete nightmare. I'd had absolutely appalling service with BT before I moved to London, so Virgin were a breath of fresh air...and their customer service department are still like angels compared to that of BT!!

I'll definitely give the 'retentions' department a call, as you suggested. Thanks again!
Friday 9 August 2013 11.09am
If you use Twitter then I'd recommend tweeting @VirginMedia as the quickest way to get things solved - it's worked wonders for me in the past.

They now seem to direct you to this form. I guess because more people are using this method.
Tuesday 13 August 2013 12.46pm
For those non-Virgin customers, take a look here:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

This may be worth doing:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx
Tuesday 13 August 2013 6.02pm
Go back to BT, now they've upgraded their superfast Infinity service. Subscription includes access to their Openzone and BT Fon networks when you're not at home.
Alterntively, do your internetting at Mamuska in the shopping centre and stuff yourself with polish food and vodka slushies while you're at it!
Tuesday 13 August 2013 6.40pm
If you live in the actual Elephant & Castle and receive your broadband via the phone line, it makes no difference what ISP you are with: all addresses in this location are served by BTs Rodney Road exchange.

Right now, the maximum theoretical speed available from this exchange is 8mbps (factors such as distance from the exchange and quality of the cabling withing your building play an important part).

From personal experience, I have found that using the latest model of router makes a big difference: be sure yours is up to date.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: