The Grange Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 12 August 2013 3.42pm
I was reading this article:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7005
and was wondering what it means in real terms. Is there a possibility that it really will be retained as a community asset ie pub, or is it just a stay of execution before it gets converted into executive dwellings? The article states that a local charity wants to extend it's portfolio of pubs but not if they are interested in this particular one. I know that Simon the Tanner is successfully run by a charity. I am in favour of my particular part of SE1 remaining a mixed area both socially and in terms of businesses/ community assets and I think the Grange remaining a pub will aid this. I don't often go in there myself as I prefer Simon The Tanner but it would be a great shame to see it go.

Related news & features

Monday 12 August 2013 5.15pm
Well, the Grange is my local but I also go there less often now. Barry the Landlord ran a great pub but wants to retire to Lanzarote I understand. The food used to be very good but dropped off a while ago and the single room layout means that if you have a rowdy crowd in there(as lately) you can't have a quiet chat and a drink. It needs a lot of money spent to revamp and organise its layout.
I see the Amisha Cafe where I spend more time is now doing well and hits the right buttons for todays 'people going out' market. 800K seems a lot too, so I can see it shortly being a new block of flats; like The Willows, The Claremont & The Fort. Best wishes to Barry.
STT
Tuesday 13 August 2013 2.29pm
Hi southwarkSimon,
The charity St. Saviours is our landlord, they don't actually run the pub, my partner and I own the lease and run the business.
If a charity were to purchase The Grange, I presume they would have to also find someone to take on the lease and run the business.

Thanks for your positive comments on us, btw!
Tuesday 13 August 2013 4.32pm
I agree with fortyfive about the one room layout being a bit limiting. I am not a drinker so would only go in there for a meal and it just isn't that appealing at the moment. Perhaps somebody will turn into into a gastropub?

|Free calls to USA & Canada | http://www.zipcall.com |
Tuesday 13 August 2013 4.38pm
From the article:
Quote:
If the council accepts the nomination, inclusion on the list of assets of community value gives local people time to make a bid to buy the property on the open market if the property owner decides to sell.

As I understand it, all it does is prevent the building being sold (eg to a developer) without anyone knowing about it, and slow the sale process down to give 'local people' the chance to put in an offer.

In other places (eg Nunhead), community groups have set up companies to buy the property. In SE1, there's the possibility that St Saviours might step in. But, fundamentally, there's no protection from a change of use if no-one with the money to but the property and a commitment to continue the operation of the pub steps up.
Wednesday 4 September 2013 10.30am
You're welcome STT and thanks for the clarification. Haven't been on the forum for a while due to holidays.
Wednesday 4 September 2013 4.04pm
The Grange PH has been listed as an asset of community value. It means the owners, Enterprise Inns, must notify Southwark if they wish to sell it. If they do, a 6 week window opens whereby community groups can offer to bid for it (to run it as a community asset, logically, a pub). If a group does this, it then opens a 6 month window for negotiations.

Phil is spot on - there are no guarantees, especially as a change of use appl'n would be uncharted territory. We need to keep the pressure on and be hopeful of a positive outcome. we're now awaiting the next move by Enterprise Inns. We're also starting a campaign. If you want to know how we got it listed or anymore detail pls email me. grangelibdem@gmail.com

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: