Perseids meteor shower over SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 August 2013 4.16pm
Did anyone see this last night( mon night)? I was absolutely amazed to see the fast moving flash of light across the night sky at about 11.45pm
Tuesday 13 August 2013 5.44pm
Yes, sat outside and saw a couple at about the same time. Like fireworks without the noise
Tuesday 13 August 2013 6.49pm
This kind of phenomena, as is the case with most astral observations, is very hard to fully take in due to the constant light in a heavily urbanized area such as London.

We really should go out in the sticks, far away from the so called 'civilization' in order to best witness the meteor shower.

When I grew up in Italy, I would do this on the beach of a small seaside village were I spent my (4 months) summer holidays, lying in the sand and facing up to the skies.

It was amazing, but impossible to do in London, let alone SE1...
Tuesday 13 August 2013 6.58pm
Look west tonight at 10:12pm, if the sky's clear, and you could see the International Space Station crossing over you.
Tuesday 13 August 2013 9.21pm
exigo wrote:
Look west tonight at 10:12pm, if the sky's clear, and you could see the International Space Station crossing over you.

Thanks for the heads up exigo (literally!) it came right over the top of us! So bright!
Tuesday 13 August 2013 11.15pm
yes, thanks exigo.. I think I saw the bright object. but it seemed very slow moving..so not entirely sure that it wasn't a plane at high altitude???
Tuesday 13 August 2013 11.38pm
londonbridge69 wrote:
yes, thanks exigo.. I think I saw the bright object. but it seemed very slow moving..so not entirely sure that it wasn't a plane at high altitude???
If it was at exactly 10.12 coming from the west as exigo said, then I saw it too. It took about a minute or two to travel from west to east. I don't think it could have been a plane as it was a solid light rather than flashing ones. I gave it a wave anyway! It made up for not seeing the meteor shower last night.
Wednesday 14 August 2013 7.26am
The ISS flight route can be followed on tracker web sites. Given a location (latitude and longitude), it's possible to get a list of timings, angle above the horizon, the direction it's appearing from, and brightness. Given a clear sky it's easy to spot.
Wednesday 14 August 2013 12.09pm
i assume you guys never read "day of the triffids"

your all doomed .... ;)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: