No water on Dodson or Jerston estates

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 15 August 2013 4.30pm
Have just come home from work to find that workmen from TJ Brown who have been working on a water leak on our estates for the past two weeks have cut off water to the whole of our estate without any warning!! They have had the opportunity to have carried out these ongoing works all day but, for reasons only apparent to them, they have decided to only do it now.
When my partner went out to politely ask when the water was going to be reconnected, the workmen were extremely rude and dismissive to her- such gentlemen!! Calls to the repairs line at Souyhwark Council have not got us any further forward either, with TJ Brown even denying yhey were currently on site! Around100 households on the Dodon Street estate are currently without water to cook, clean wiyh or drink and no- one seems to care! Can anyone out there help??
Thursday 15 August 2013 6.43pm
Hi Kat,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having.

This has been now been raised with the cabinet member for housing at Southwark Council and will hopefully be resolved soon (if it hasn't been already).

I will keep you updated on all progress I have with this but if you would like to talk about this further, please feel free to contact me cathedralslabour@gmail.com.

All the best,

Tom Heys
Labour Party candidate for Cathedrals Ward
Friday 16 August 2013 8.49am
Dear Tom

Thanks for your reply and for the action you have taken on behalf of Dodson Street residents so far. Just a quick update on the situation that I would be grateful if you could pass on to whoever is dealing with this matter ...
The water to our homes was eventually turned back on at around 6.30 - 7.00pm. At 7.30om a letter from T J Brown was put through our letter box advising us retrospectively about the disruption to our water services yesterday and the need for our supplies to be cut off again today. It would have been nice for residents/tenants to have been given warning of the disruption to our water supplies BEFORE the event and not after - can we therefore have an explanation of why this was not done?
This morning at 7.10am, the workmen from TJ Browns' subcontractors S.E.L.Building Services Limited arrived back onsite and started extremely noisy works using pneumatic drills. Given that these works have been ongoing for the past two weeks or so, often with days when no contractors have been onsite at all, why did the contractors now feel it necessary to turn up on site at 7.00am and commence work at, what I consider, to be an extremely antisocial hour this morning? Are there any guidelines for contractors working on behalf of Southwark Council in terms of working hours and also their behaviour whilst on site? If so, please can I be sent a copy? As stated previously, the 4 workmen currently onsite behaved in an extremely rude and disrespectful way towards my partner yesterday and I would like steps to be taken for tenants/residents to be given guidance/information on how such behaviours can be reported and addressed by Southwark Council. I look forward to hearing from you.
Friday 16 August 2013 1.04pm
Kat and Sharon,

I was in contact with Jackie about this last night and have been in touch with senior housing officers directly myself today. The problem relates to the cast iron water pipe feed that serves all 3 blocks. It appears that whenever they have done a repair another problem appears so they have now decided to renew 40 metres of the pipe as an emergency today.

Letters explaining what's being done are being delivered to all 3 blocks and I have been advised the water will probably be off for 2 hours this afternoon. I have asked for drinking water to be made available. I have been reassured that Southwark Council officers will remain on site until the matter is fully resolved.

In regards to your questions about guidelines and expectations about hours of work and behaviour, yes there are expectations about how our contractors behave and inappropriate behaviour can be dealt with via the Council's complaint procedure. Happy to provide details.

I will come down after work to make sure all is well.

David
Cllr David Noakes
Friday 16 August 2013 1.17pm
Thanks David - really glad to see that you are on the case :) Whilst I totally appreciate the reasons why the work is being done, I do not appeaciate the piecemeal manner in which it has been carried out over the past two weeks plus the behaviour and attitude of the workmen on site carrying out the works. I certainly would like to know more about the guidelines regarding working hours, contractor's behaviour etc and am happy to discuss this when we next meet. Kind regards Kat
Friday 16 August 2013 3.32pm
Hi Kat,

I've been in touch correspondence with the Head of Maintenance and Compliance.

In addition to the above, I'd like to add that T Brown should absolutely not have started pneumatic drilling work at 7.10am this morning and this is being taken up with them.

The change over has been made and your water should be back on now (it was off for about 45 minutes). They are just checking for air locks at the moment.

Tom
Friday 16 August 2013 4.04pm
Thanks Tom - much appreciated. Work looks like it is finishing up here now and water is now back on :) It's just a pity that tenants and residents have to take matters into their own hands and go to the press and complain via social media channels before Southwark Council start treating us with any level of respect or humanity!! Just because we live in social housing does not make us third class citizens, the lowest of the low, at the bottom of the heap yet this is how we are made to feel time and time again by the officers of Southwark Council and their contractors. We are entitled to respect and decent levels of service too yet all we seem to get is abuse, indifference and violation of our rights - Southwark Council should hang heir heads in shame ....
Friday 16 August 2013 5.51pm
If ever you have any other issues in future, do get in touch with me. I'll always do my best to try and help you out: cathedralslabour@gmail.com

Tom
Friday 16 August 2013 8.20pm
Thank you Tom - I will !
Saturday 17 August 2013 9.55am
TomHeys wrote:
In addition to the above, I'd like to add that T Brown should absolutely not have started pneumatic drilling work at 7.10am this morning and this is being taken up with them.

I fear Southwark Council's noise team won't agree with you - so would appreciate hearing feedback. There are emergency gas works on Trinity Street currently. I called the noise team to complain of pneumatic drilling at 01:30am on Thursday morning and was told, as it was an emergency, "they can do what they like".
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network