Elizabeth House and Westminster

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 15 August 2013 9.28pm
Having just read the news story on this - I can't think how it could affect views of Westminster from parliament square - it's nowhere near?!
Thursday 15 August 2013 9.58pm
It would fill in the gap in the sky between the clock tower ('Big Ben') and Portcullis House when standing in part of Parliament Square.

The red line on this map gives a crude indication of the disputed viewing corridor:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 15 August 2013 10.21pm
I'm with Lambeth on this. Nothing on the Southbank will not affect views from Westminster. That is why there is a planning process. And Westminster do not care about the potential improvement this side of the river.

Tell them to get lost, because that is what they have done, lost.
Friday 16 August 2013 1.02am
I wonder if Lambeth is getting backhanders, like Southwark did for Kings Reach Tower.

I'm not very impressed by the designs for the Shell site or Elizabeth House
Friday 16 August 2013 9.14am
I have been vociferously against Westminster City Council for many years especially since the gerrymandering and cemetry sell-off by that Tesco woman but I think they have got this one right although it sticks in my craw to say so.
Lambeth are not allowing the building to go ahead for any other reason than the amount of rates it will bring in, the higher the building the more rates they get.
It doesn't matter how many people will be employed there most of them will live without the borough and thus commute, a lot will be immigrants and the vast majority will spend little or nothing locally so from a personal view I opposed the original plans. No gain to me and mine from the doubtful promises of a Lambeth Council and planning department which I believe to be corrupt.
Sunday 18 August 2013 11.41pm
Totally agree with Westminster.
Lambeth and Southwark are allowing the despoilation of the South Bank, just like the City of London. They have abandoned the area in an attempt to extract maximum cash for other parts of the boroughs.
The view from Waterloo Bridge is already one of greed and ugliness and its only going to get worse if Lambeth get their way.
Monday 19 August 2013 1.22pm
I too agree with Westminster whatever their motives - as far as I am concerned the skyline has been blighted, the view from the road has been blighted, and the view on the river has been blighted - no stopping them since the Shard. Even though I love some modern architecture - having studied it - the Shard has spawned tower after tower most without any beauty at all. As a local resident I hate it, as a Londoner I find it really distressing. Budapest, Paris - beautiful views undisturbed by rich people's towers. London full of politicians who don't give a damn about anything but money in the coffers.
Thursday 7 November 2013 4.08pm
The latest round of the legal battle has gone in Westminster's favour

Thursday 27 November 2014 11.51am
Betty Boothroyd has made some colourful comments on this subject:

Tuesday 7 April 2015 1.48pm
It does not affect the views from Westminster. Typical Labour peer who tend to prefer dirty concrete 60s carbuncles to newly designed energy efficient towers where everyone is a winner i.e. new social housing and increased ownership bringing additional revenue to the council.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: