Dead Electronics? Disposal advice please!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 18 August 2013 6.54pm
I have innumerable ex-telephones, out moded modems, discarded computer mice, batteries and transformers etc., and I cant bring myself to chuck them in the rubbish...does anyone know an ecologically sound way/place of disposing of them?
Sunday 18 August 2013 9.25pm
There is the main council dump/recycling centre down the old kent road. The staff are really lovely and I think they do recyle what they can. Its easier if you have a car but you could probably even just bus it down from the elephant. Cant remember the name of the street but its past the Tesco on the same side of the road...
Sunday 18 August 2013 9.31pm
Another vote for the helpfulness of staff at the Devon Street Recycling Centre. We went yesterday morning with a pile of old VHS tapes, various electricals and other bits and bobs, and the staff were excellent.
Sunday 18 August 2013 9.48pm
There used to be a recycling bin for small electrical appliances in Southwark Bridge Road but it looks like they've relocated it to Tesco Old Kent Road:

There's also one next to Waterloo Millennium Green (in Lambeth)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 19 August 2013 7.58am
Thank you thank you dear SE1 ers. Where would I be without you?
Wednesday 21 August 2013 2.05pm
look up regulations about WEEE (Waste Electronics and Electrical Equipment) - it is now illegal to just throw these in with the rubbish.

I you buy a new appliance/gadget, the seller has a duty to take your old one, and recycle/dispose of it.
this only works like for like though, so you can't take an old computer in to be disposed off if you're only buying a new electric toothbrush, say.

The council have a duty to provide WEEE recycling facilities, these should be available through Southwark website.
Wednesday 21 August 2013 2.35pm
Very successful trip to Devon Street...thanks to everyone!
Wednesday 21 August 2013 11.24pm
I thought there was an electronics recycling bin near the junction of Bayliss Road & Waterloo Road - is that no longer there?
Monday 26 August 2013 7.51pm
The coverage for the WEEE bins in North Southwark is pretty rubbish, our nearest is SE16 or Tesco OKR. I will see if the one on Baylis Road is still there, though we should probably be using a Southwark one.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: