Bats in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 18 August 2013 9.21pm
The last few evenings have been seeing bats flying around garden about this time of the evening. Have never seen them before in six years living off southwark park road. At first I thought I was mistaken but just got really good look at two. Anyone else seen them or know where they may be roosting. Am very close to St Ann's in Thorburn Square so could it be there??
Sunday 18 August 2013 10.24pm
I live next to Burgess Park and we see them frequently! Apparently they are building bat boxes to house them as well as doing bat walks through the park. http://www.friendsofburgesspark.org.uk/9.html
Sunday 18 August 2013 10.33pm
Southwark's ecology officer is Jon Best, I'm sure he won't mind me posting his email address:

jon.best@southwark.gov.uk

We spent a few hours watching Pipistrells in Burgess Park - happy times!
Monday 19 August 2013 9.00am
I’m the other side of St James Rd, just in SE16 and we’re seeing bats in our back garden at dusk, the lights from the living room seem to attract moths and bugs and the bats swoop down for a snack, they’re coming quite close to the windows! I first noticed them a few weeks ago, never seen them before in this area.
Monday 19 August 2013 9.38am
I have never seen so many bats coming out of my neighbours bushy overgrown elder tree, sitting out in the garden at dusk these tiny creatures performed wonderful acrobatics, used to see them at trinity church near the spire. My neighbour who I was talking to did not realise they were bats, he thought they were very small birds...
Monday 19 August 2013 9.51am
I used to see them all the time when I still lived with my mum... on st James' road (Jamaica road end) I used to think I was going insane too! and like you Jan, everyone tried to tell me they were birds! lol funny looking birds!

Bats are native to this country by the way... so although unusual to spot them, its not that strange!
Monday 19 August 2013 1.44pm
Monday 19 August 2013 10.10pm
yes bats here each evening not far from Red Cross way
\I like them
Tuesday 20 August 2013 2.18pm
There's quite few chaps in my "hood" who have baseball bats (usually aluminium). They never buy baseballs though. Strange.
Monday 26 August 2013 5.03pm
I've spotted some in late evenings under the railway bridge on Borough High St, I thought I was seeing things at first!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: