Russian Tank

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 10 May 2001 8.16pm
Hiya,

I am curious to find out more about the the old (I suppose WWII) tank that is standing opposite the Lidl supermarket just off Old Kent Road. Does anybody know more about his tank and whiy it is standing there?

Cheers,

Tobias
Thursday 10 May 2001 10.21pm
This came up on the forum a year ago when we were using different software.

Sonia posted this response to a similar question:
<blockquote><i>
Belongs to a chap called Alf who has a passion for military vehicles. Has a few other things, Austin Champ, not sure what else. Don't expect it to be moved for a while! There were rumours that he was going to drive it to a show in Kent last year but he never got round to it, wonder why??
</i></blockquote>

</blockquote>
Dan
Friday 8 June 2001 5.01pm
Hi

I think that its either a T34 or T35 model originally used in the second world war and for some years afterwards.

Dan
Monday 18 June 2001 10.37am
It appears to be a late vintage Russian (or indeed Chinese) T34 tank, developed to combat the German panther and tiger. They were made up until mid 50's and are still used as static border fortifications on the border with China! Quite how it got there I am not sure....
rob
Tuesday 9 July 2002 2.43pm
I am a reporter for the south london press. I would like to do a story about this tank.
If anyone has any details about it can they call me at the office on 020 8710 6440 or email me at robdex@hotmail.com

thankyou
Friday 28 March 2014 7.27pm
2-man demonstration for Ukraine last night (27 Mar 2014) on the tank, saw a few photos.
Friday 28 March 2014 8.53pm
It's there in protest after the property developer owner of the Tank (and the site) was refused planning permission to build there. Basically, while he could not build what he wanted there, he could get permission to put a tank there. Whether the council knew exactly what sort of tank he was referring to in the application is a moot point. The tank is a Czech T34 and was used fas a film prop prior to it ending up in its present location.
Friday 28 March 2014 10.17pm
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network