Duke of Sussex, Baylis Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 27 August 2013 10.14am
I have been meaning to go in this pub for ages but never got around to it until last week. It's extraordinary: a real time capsule.

It's obviously seen better times and doesn't even seem to be open during the day. It's a real old fashioned boozer: two bars (saloon and public - that's a rarity these days), pool table, hideously filthy floral carpet, loud TV, a menu straight out of the 70s (I was surprised not to see scampi in a basket. Not sure I'd order food in there given the general state of cleanliness), loos that could do with some serious attention, and only one red and one white wine on offer (the red was one you can get for 3 for 10 in Asda!). Oh, and a barman who appeared to be just doing someone a favour; and hating every minute.

We were the only two in there, although there were quite a few outside (it was a lovely warm evening), apart from a woman regular who set about abusing anyone who dared venture inside. Interesting evening!

So, out of curiosity, does anyone know who runs/owns this place and/or the history of it? I'd be fascinated as I can't see how it's managing to stagger on.
Tuesday 27 August 2013 10.29pm
Word has it that the guvnor owns the building.

Those toilets would be a disgrace in the 1800s,terrible.I was in there at the bar one time and the fella next to me received a text on his phone from his mate who was in the toilet asking him to inform the barman that there was no loo roll in there,it was funny.
Wednesday 28 August 2013 1.53pm
boroughonian wrote:
Word has it that the guvnor owns the building.

Gosh, really? Must be worth a packet. Doesn't explain how he keeps it going though. Or, indeed, why.

When I was in there and was talking to the rather taciturn barman, the "delightful" lady barfly asked if I was from the Inland Revenue!

Would love to know what it's all about.

And, no, I do not work for Her Maj in any shape or form.
Wednesday 28 August 2013 2.41pm
I think it has character!

Better than a Slug and Lettuce anyway.

No idea about its history or anything else though.
Wednesday 28 August 2013 4.43pm
My first experience was last summer, I went after work one Friday. We sat outside after purchasing our drinks and within minutes one of the other customers came out and offered to sell us drug.

We drank our drinks and left!
Wednesday 28 August 2013 11.16pm
Popped in there for a couple this evening. The pub can be seen 10 minutes in from the start of the 1976 film Confessions of a Taxi Driver when Barry Evans picks up a fare right outside.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: