Mouse in flat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 27 August 2013 8.54pm
I have just seen a mouse running across my room and am totally freaked out. I live in a flat on the 4th floor and have never experienced this before. I am unable to concentrate and screamed and left my room. I am currently staying with a friend but need to be back in my room tomorrow. I know I will find it hard to sleep from now on. Does anybody have any advice of what I should do or who I should call? Any help and approximate prices would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much
Tuesday 27 August 2013 9.05pm
Saraaz wrote:
I have just seen a mouse running across my room and am totally freaked out. I live in a flat on the 4th floor and have never experienced this before. I am unable to concentrate and screamed and left my room. I am currently staying with a friend but need to be back in my room tomorrow. I know I will find it hard to sleep from now on. Does anybody have any advice of what I should do or who I should call? Any help and approximate prices would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much
I had a mouse in my 4th floor flat to be followed by several running around behind the walls and ceiling. I did the usual of closing all potential entry points and bought one of those ultrasound anti-mouse gadgets for around 30 quid. Did the job. Within days they were all gone. Get in there quick before they start to nest.
Tuesday 27 August 2013 9.47pm
I had a mouse - on the 11th floor - no idea how it managed to reach the button in the lift! I'm told it was more likely to have climbed up the communal water pipes, so you might be lucky like I was, and just have the one. I caught mine in one of those friendly traps that don't kill them, and let it go in the garden. Peanut butter is a good lure, as is Nutella.
Tuesday 27 August 2013 10.14pm
If you are a council tenant, the council, as your landlord, will deal with five types of pest free of charge. Mice and rats amongst the five. If you are not a council tenant, you have to pay for the service (but cheaper than what you get elsewhere). If you receive benefits you are entitled to a 50% discount. I am not sure if this is still the case following cuts at this economic time.

I had one terrible experience of big rats running down the stairs like a pack of wolves on a two-floor flat in Hampstead. I know I am exaggerating a bit but they were loud when diving (skipping steps) and running down those steps (not carpeted). I was staying on the top (fourth) floor then. I paid about 60 (shared with two other housemates). Hope this helps.
Tuesday 27 August 2013 10.20pm
Just to add: the 60 fee was because we are not council tenants or receiving benefit.

I hope you can get this sorted soon.
Tuesday 27 August 2013 10.22pm
Karen I wrote:
I had a mouse - on the 11th floor - [b]no idea how it managed to reach the button in the[/b] lift! I'm told it was more likely to have climbed up the communal water pipes, so you might be lucky like I was, and just have the one. I caught mine in one of those friendly traps that don't kill them, and let it go in the garden. Peanut butter is a good lure, as is Nutella.

That'll be Mary and Mungo.
Wednesday 28 August 2013 12.14am
Sonic mouse repeller usually does the trick. Robert Dyas next to Canary Wharf Waitrose sell them if you want to get one quickly.
Wednesday 28 August 2013 7.48am
Go to a hardware store.
Buy a spring mousetrap for about two quid.
Put some bait on the trap (bit of dried fruit will do)
Set trap
Wait about a day to catch it.
Put the whole lot in a bag, into the bin.
Wednesday 28 August 2013 8.01am
I bought all of the above, I had humane traps..caught one...paid 70.00 for a Pest X contraption worked for a while..bought glue traps..caught a few but they are barbaric and the poor thing was squealing, I felt so guilty unable to remove it had to plunge it into a bucket of water, never again. Tried the old fashioned wooden things and nearly had my fingers off, I must be one dumb old broad!

In the end bought some spring traps made of plastic from b and q, same principle as old traps but much easier to use, put peanut butter and chocolate in and caught some. But also have to use poison from tower bridge road builders merchants and they have been eating that and have not seen any for a few months.
In row of terrace houses they run under the floor boards.

Reminded me of a hilarious situation last year, sitting in my tiny front room with my brother and his girlfriend ( a professor!) I noticed a tiny mouse running back and forth behind the settee where they were sitting, trying not to look I eventually had to move as it had caught in a trap,...brothers dainty girlfriend said casually just get a mallet and hit it!
Wednesday 28 August 2013 8.16am
problem with poison is they can eat it, head off back into skirting board and die there, slowly decomposing. I think spring traps are best, plastic or wooden. always done the job for our family.

happy to come and set one for you if you are not too far away.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: