Blitz in Bermondsey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 2 September 2013 4.13pm
There was a "Raynham Road" school in Bermondsey in the early 1900s. I can't find the road in modern Bermondsey. Did the road disappear after the blitz? Does anyone know where to find a list of "lost" streets and roads in the post-war rebuilding of London?
Tuesday 3 September 2013 9.52am
Given the unusual spelling of the street name, are you sure the school you're interested in was actually in Bermondsey? All the Google references lead to Raynham Road School in EDMONTON, a board school founded in 1896!
Tuesday 3 September 2013 9.59am
Could there be a confusion with Raymouth Road in Bermondsey?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 3 September 2013 10.59am
Thanks for the responses here. I have a class photo of my grandmother dated 1904 with the sign clearly reading "Raynham Rd. Girls 1904, No. IVB". She was born and grew up in Bermondsey and shows up as resident with her parents in Bermondsey in both the 1901 and the 1911 census'. I had found the Edmonton street (and another in W6!)but there is no connection between this family and those places. It's a mystery.
Tuesday 3 September 2013 11.11am
The Council's website has a series of maps going back to the 19th Century. If you enter a present day street name close to the location you're studying in the search engine on the left, you can move between different periods/maps (see right side of page) and the pin icon stays in the same place:

http://maps.southwark.gov.uk/connect/index.jsp?tooltip=yes

You'll find there are quite a few websites which give lists of old London streets and street name changes, if you run a search.

This old post is about a pre-WW2 street name change, but you may find some of the content helpful:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/166220/167507#msg-167507

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: