An appreciation of Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 11 September 2013 12.55am
just wrote this about Elephant & Castle shopping centre based on the happy/sad news in LondonSE1 that the latest plan is to demolish it: http://kenningtonrunoff.com/elephant-castle-shopping-centre/
Wednesday 11 September 2013 7.42am
I have to agree that I love the shopping centre, principally because I can get to it from my house with scarcely any chance of getting wet - because I approach it from the tunnel under the New Kent Road. It's become far more pleasant of late, it's clean and well lit, and the shops are fantastically convenient...that said: the area of market stalls around the exterior are horribly grubby and shabby. The approach, while I'm quite fond of it because it's so familiar, is actually inconvenient, convoluted, confusing to many and frankly - past its sell by date. I too am not in the least keen to have another Westfield, but so many of the shops and stands of the shopping centre are totally superfluous - cant understand how some of them make a living. Something more compact, with the basic amenities of supermarkets, DIY, chemists and newsagents - the real "must haves" would be quite enough. And if the whole ugly Hannibal House comes down...well goody goody, good riddance.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: