Strata Tower Public Art and 100,000 Section 106 money

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 18 September 2013 1.07pm
Friday 20 September 2013 2.19pm
beggars belief. or maybe not as much as clearly 100K is peanuts compared to erm millions lost on the heygate?
Monday 23 September 2013 2.08pm
... but then there is no money for Southwark Fire station to be kept open?

I wonder what the residents of E&C would prefer, those panels or a fire engine in time?
Monday 23 September 2013 2.23pm
It sounds to me as if Strata management had no idea how to approach the public art element, or perhaps little interest in doing so and just had someone wander down to Camberwell and see what they could rustle up. The bursaries were a pretty weak defence of their 'plan', so I too would be interested in knowing how this money was eventually spent. I can't see how installation costs and maintenance amounts to this sum of money. The idea that there is no breakdown of costs is laughable given how I have to fill out such breakdowns on any public art proposals. This comes across at the very least as an amateurish exercise.
Tuesday 24 September 2013 12.01am
Good research.

Can anyone suggest what we can do with this information? Is the council accountable to anyone?
Tuesday 24 September 2013 3.51pm
ha - a million dollar question :)

there is a local government watchdog body, which, in theory, exists to keep an eye on councils. can't remember what it's called though.

it's actually really disturbing to see, over and over and over again, the moment any one resident applies a tiniest bit of scrutiny over any one council action/decision, just how much incompetent/deliberate rubbish there is.

except that, if the discoveries come from residents, they are instantly disregarded as we cannot possibly comprehend just how complex things are.

a little bit up the road, in camberwell, there's another scandal unravelling, nowhere near the scale of the heygate but still relevant (more on this soon)
Wednesday 25 September 2013 9.51pm
d90myg wrote:
Good research.
Can anyone suggest what we can do with this information? Is the council accountable to anyone?

The Council likes to think that it doesn't have to be accountable to anyone esp when it concerns planning and regeneration. Research like this tries to show that in fact what they do is scrutinised and followed by local people. That must be the first step to then encourage others to hold them to account.

When the Council writes another newspaper article saying 'we are building affordable homes for local people in The Elephant as part of the regeneration', good research and making it public can say 'Actually, no you are not and here's why'.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: